Re: 1812 British regt lace loops question

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 2010
      Oh Ukle Lar!

      I would never think of shooting you, well not often and only after heavy drinking!

      I went quite deeply into the question of how this story started and I have to say the tale is an interesting and frustratingly elusive one. However it seems to be based on a book only one writer (now dead) has seen of which no copy seems to exist in any national or academic library in the US or UK. In going through the stale it is my speculation (and it can be no more) that if there was an author who served in the British army in the Americas in the war of 1812 in was in the infantry and he was a deserter trying, after the war to make himself seem more important than he was to his American neighbours.

      However I am continuing to research,

      Aye my friend