Re: [Bulk] Re: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys

  • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
      There were no deaths among Runchey's Corps on May 27th. Who else would the black soldier in Glengarry Uniform be but a Glengarry?

      From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
        Ron, I hear you swear all the time.... oh wait....that's not what you meant.... ;-)

        Kevin

        To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

        From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

      • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
          Well, perhaps you are mistaking my use of some of the colourful terms of our Saxon and Danish ancestors for swearing. I think that keeping ancestral languages alive can only be achieved through use.

          Ron

          Ron, I hear you swear all the time.... oh wait....that's not what you meant.... ;-)

          Kevin

          To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

          From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

        • Ian Gardner
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 8, 2010
            It just seemed that a misidentification was a possibility.

            Using the same source (Stolen Life), they list two men as "deserted to
            the enemy": Abraham Sloane and William Spencer. Now "deserted to the
            enemy" seems unlikely (although not necessarily plain old desertion) and
            mayhap as it could explain this dead black militiaman. But they also
            don't cite their source for this information so I'm certainly not in any
            position to gainsay anybody.

            I'm just curious. Ask my wife; she'll definitely agree! :D

            Ian

            There were no deaths among Runchey's Corps on May 27th. Who else would
            the black soldier in Glengarry Uniform be but a Glengarry?

            From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I
            would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.