RE: [Bulk] Re: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys

  • Ian Gardner
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
      Hi Bill,

      Do you know if any of the Glengarry's casualties at Fort George were
      black? Just reconciling the Meyers' account of the black casualty with
      GLI records

      Ian

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
        There were no deaths among Runchey's Corps on May 27th. Who else would the black soldier in Glengarry Uniform be but a Glengarry?

        From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
          Ron, I hear you swear all the time.... oh wait....that's not what you meant.... ;-)

          Kevin

          To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

          From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

        • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
            Well, perhaps you are mistaking my use of some of the colourful terms of our Saxon and Danish ancestors for swearing. I think that keeping ancestral languages alive can only be achieved through use.

            Ron

            Ron, I hear you swear all the time.... oh wait....that's not what you meant.... ;-)

            Kevin

            To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

            From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

          • Ian Gardner
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 8, 2010
              It just seemed that a misidentification was a possibility.

              Using the same source (Stolen Life), they list two men as "deserted to
              the enemy": Abraham Sloane and William Spencer. Now "deserted to the
              enemy" seems unlikely (although not necessarily plain old desertion) and
              mayhap as it could explain this dead black militiaman. But they also
              don't cite their source for this information so I'm certainly not in any
              position to gainsay anybody.

              I'm just curious. Ask my wife; she'll definitely agree! :D

              Ian

              There were no deaths among Runchey's Corps on May 27th. Who else would
              the black soldier in Glengarry Uniform be but a Glengarry?

              From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I
              would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.