RE: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys

  • Ray Hobbs
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
      Peter:
      All the references I have seen to Pierpoint in the records of Runchy's Corps are as a Private. I think his age and wisdom made him an unofficial leader in the eyes of the other members of the Corps.
      Ian's question raises an important subject for research - any takers?
      Ray

      To: warof1812@yahoogroups.com
      From: petemonahan@...
      Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 15:39:57 +0000
      Subject: RE: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys

      Ian

      You may already know about Richard Pierpaw/Pierpot/Pierpoint. He was a black veteran of the Revlutionary War, kidnapped in Senegal [I think] and for some time the slave of a British officer. He served throughtout the Revol. war and was given land in Upper Canada with other black Loyalists [Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario]. I believe he was the original proposer of a black corps but when realized it was named after the white officer. Pierpoint was a senior NCO in Runcie's for some time. Not sure if any other black Rangers stayed on with that corps through the 1812 war.

      Peter Monahan

      petemonahan@...

      705-435-0953h / 705-792-8895c

      > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

      > From: igardner@...

      > Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:31:15 -0400

      > Subject: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys

      > Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were ever

      > black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the

      > unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?

      > TIA

      > Ian

      > ------------------------------------

      > War of 1812 Living History:

      > A wide-ranging information exchange

      > for all participants and supporters

      > Crown Forces Unit Listing:

      > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

      > American Forces Unit Listing

      > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:

      > 2010Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Ian Gardner
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
        Hi Peter,

        I'm just going through the Meylers' book on Pierpoint. After the Battle
        of Fort George, they make mention of the body of a black soldier
        identified by an American officer as being a Glengarry and postulate
        that this may have been a misidentification of unit and that the soldier
        may have in fact been from Runchey's.

        Ian

        You may already know about Richard Pierpaw/Pierpot/Pierpoint. He was a
        black veteran of the Revlutionary War, kidnapped in Senegal [I think]
        and for some time the slave of a British officer. He served throughtout
        the Revol. war and was given land in Upper Canada with other black
        Loyalists [Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario]. I believe he
        was the original proposer of a black corps but when realized it was
        named after the white officer. Pierpoint was a senior NCO in Runcie's
        for some time. Not sure if any other black Rangers stayed on with that
        corps through the 1812 war.

        Peter Monahan
        petemonahan@... <mailto:petemonahan%40sympatico.ca>
        705-435-0953h / 705-792-8895c

        > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>
        > From: igardner@... <mailto:igardner%40rogers.com>
        > Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:31:15 -0400
        > Subject: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys
        >
        > Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were
        ever
        > black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the
        > unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?
        >
        > TIA
        > Ian

      • Anna Snipes
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
          Interesting.  I didn't even know that blacks could serve outside of all-black units.  Found this reference to black Glengarrys:

          http://www.blackhistorycanada.com/events.php?themeid=21&id=5

          You may already know about Richard Pierpaw/Pierpot/Pierpoint. He was a
          black veteran of the Revlutionary War, kidnapped in Senegal [I think]
          and for some time the slave of a British officer. He served throughtout
          the Revol. war and was given land in Upper Canada with other black
          Loyalists [Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario]. I believe he
          was the original proposer of a black corps but when realized it was
          named after the white officer. Pierpoint was a senior NCO in Runcie's
          for some time. Not sure if any other black Rangers stayed on with that
          corps through the 1812 war.

          Peter Monahan
          petemonahan@... <mailto:petemonahan%40sympatico.ca>
          705-435-0953h / 705-792-8895c

          > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>
          > From: igardner@... <mailto:igardner%40rogers.com>
          > Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:31:15 -0400
          > Subject: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys
          >
          > Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were
          ever
          > black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the
          > unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?
          >
          > TIA
          > Ian

        • glifencible
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
            A quick scan through my records, I found one Joseph Fraser. He's described as 5'10 1/2" tall, Complexion - black, Eyes - black, hair - black.

            He was born in Johnston Parish, Lower Canada, and was 22 when he enlisted in the Glens. Prior to enlisting he was a labourer,

            Other descriptions of the men included the following:

            Light
            Fair
            Dark
            Fresh
            Brown
          • Ian Gardner
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
              Hi Bill,

              Do you know if any of the Glengarry's casualties at Fort George were
              black? Just reconciling the Meyers' account of the black casualty with
              GLI records

              Ian

            • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                There were no deaths among Runchey's Corps on May 27th. Who else would the black soldier in Glengarry Uniform be but a Glengarry?

                From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                  Ron, I hear you swear all the time.... oh wait....that's not what you meant.... ;-)

                  Kevin

                  To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

                  From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

                • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                    Well, perhaps you are mistaking my use of some of the colourful terms of our Saxon and Danish ancestors for swearing. I think that keeping ancestral languages alive can only be achieved through use.

                    Ron

                    Ron, I hear you swear all the time.... oh wait....that's not what you meant.... ;-)

                    Kevin

                    To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

                    From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

                  • Ian Gardner
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 8, 2010
                      It just seemed that a misidentification was a possibility.

                      Using the same source (Stolen Life), they list two men as "deserted to
                      the enemy": Abraham Sloane and William Spencer. Now "deserted to the
                      enemy" seems unlikely (although not necessarily plain old desertion) and
                      mayhap as it could explain this dead black militiaman. But they also
                      don't cite their source for this information so I'm certainly not in any
                      position to gainsay anybody.

                      I'm just curious. Ask my wife; she'll definitely agree! :D

                      Ian

                      There were no deaths among Runchey's Corps on May 27th. Who else would
                      the black soldier in Glengarry Uniform be but a Glengarry?

                      From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I
                      would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.