RE: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys

  • peter monahan
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
      Ian

      You may already know about Richard Pierpaw/Pierpot/Pierpoint. He was a black veteran of the Revlutionary War, kidnapped in Senegal [I think] and for some time the slave of a British officer. He served throughtout the Revol. war and was given land in Upper Canada with other black Loyalists [Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario]. I believe he was the original proposer of a black corps but when realized it was named after the white officer. Pierpoint was a senior NCO in Runcie's for some time. Not sure if any other black Rangers stayed on with that corps through the 1812 war.

      Peter Monahan
      petemonahan@...
      705-435-0953h / 705-792-8895c

      > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      > From: igardner@...
      > Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:31:15 -0400
      > Subject: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys
      >
      > Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were ever
      > black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the
      > unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?
      >
      > TIA
      > Ian
      >

      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > War of 1812 Living History:
      > A wide-ranging information exchange
      > for all participants and supporters

      > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      > American Forces Unit Listing
      > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
      >
      > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
      > 2010Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Ray Hobbs
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
        Peter:
        All the references I have seen to Pierpoint in the records of Runchy's Corps are as a Private. I think his age and wisdom made him an unofficial leader in the eyes of the other members of the Corps.
        Ian's question raises an important subject for research - any takers?
        Ray

        To: warof1812@yahoogroups.com
        From: petemonahan@...
        Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 15:39:57 +0000
        Subject: RE: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys

        Ian

        You may already know about Richard Pierpaw/Pierpot/Pierpoint. He was a black veteran of the Revlutionary War, kidnapped in Senegal [I think] and for some time the slave of a British officer. He served throughtout the Revol. war and was given land in Upper Canada with other black Loyalists [Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario]. I believe he was the original proposer of a black corps but when realized it was named after the white officer. Pierpoint was a senior NCO in Runcie's for some time. Not sure if any other black Rangers stayed on with that corps through the 1812 war.

        Peter Monahan

        petemonahan@...

        705-435-0953h / 705-792-8895c

        > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

        > From: igardner@...

        > Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:31:15 -0400

        > Subject: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys

        > Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were ever

        > black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the

        > unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?

        > TIA

        > Ian

        > ------------------------------------

        > War of 1812 Living History:

        > A wide-ranging information exchange

        > for all participants and supporters

        > Crown Forces Unit Listing:

        > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

        > American Forces Unit Listing

        > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:

        > 2010Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ian Gardner
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
          Hi Peter,

          I'm just going through the Meylers' book on Pierpoint. After the Battle
          of Fort George, they make mention of the body of a black soldier
          identified by an American officer as being a Glengarry and postulate
          that this may have been a misidentification of unit and that the soldier
          may have in fact been from Runchey's.

          Ian

          You may already know about Richard Pierpaw/Pierpot/Pierpoint. He was a
          black veteran of the Revlutionary War, kidnapped in Senegal [I think]
          and for some time the slave of a British officer. He served throughtout
          the Revol. war and was given land in Upper Canada with other black
          Loyalists [Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario]. I believe he
          was the original proposer of a black corps but when realized it was
          named after the white officer. Pierpoint was a senior NCO in Runcie's
          for some time. Not sure if any other black Rangers stayed on with that
          corps through the 1812 war.

          Peter Monahan
          petemonahan@... <mailto:petemonahan%40sympatico.ca>
          705-435-0953h / 705-792-8895c

          > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>
          > From: igardner@... <mailto:igardner%40rogers.com>
          > Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:31:15 -0400
          > Subject: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys
          >
          > Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were
          ever
          > black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the
          > unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?
          >
          > TIA
          > Ian

        • Anna Snipes
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
            Interesting.  I didn't even know that blacks could serve outside of all-black units.  Found this reference to black Glengarrys:

            http://www.blackhistorycanada.com/events.php?themeid=21&id=5

            You may already know about Richard Pierpaw/Pierpot/Pierpoint. He was a
            black veteran of the Revlutionary War, kidnapped in Senegal [I think]
            and for some time the slave of a British officer. He served throughtout
            the Revol. war and was given land in Upper Canada with other black
            Loyalists [Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario]. I believe he
            was the original proposer of a black corps but when realized it was
            named after the white officer. Pierpoint was a senior NCO in Runcie's
            for some time. Not sure if any other black Rangers stayed on with that
            corps through the 1812 war.

            Peter Monahan
            petemonahan@... <mailto:petemonahan%40sympatico.ca>
            705-435-0953h / 705-792-8895c

            > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>
            > From: igardner@... <mailto:igardner%40rogers.com>
            > Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:31:15 -0400
            > Subject: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys
            >
            > Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were
            ever
            > black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the
            > unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?
            >
            > TIA
            > Ian

          • glifencible
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
              A quick scan through my records, I found one Joseph Fraser. He's described as 5'10 1/2" tall, Complexion - black, Eyes - black, hair - black.

              He was born in Johnston Parish, Lower Canada, and was 22 when he enlisted in the Glens. Prior to enlisting he was a labourer,

              Other descriptions of the men included the following:

              Light
              Fair
              Dark
              Fresh
              Brown
            • Ian Gardner
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                Hi Bill,

                Do you know if any of the Glengarry's casualties at Fort George were
                black? Just reconciling the Meyers' account of the black casualty with
                GLI records

                Ian

              • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                  There were no deaths among Runchey's Corps on May 27th. Who else would the black soldier in Glengarry Uniform be but a Glengarry?

                  From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                    Ron, I hear you swear all the time.... oh wait....that's not what you meant.... ;-)

                    Kevin

                    To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

                    From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

                  • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                      Well, perhaps you are mistaking my use of some of the colourful terms of our Saxon and Danish ancestors for swearing. I think that keeping ancestral languages alive can only be achieved through use.

                      Ron

                      Ron, I hear you swear all the time.... oh wait....that's not what you meant.... ;-)

                      Kevin

                      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

                      From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

                    • Ian Gardner
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 8, 2010
                        It just seemed that a misidentification was a possibility.

                        Using the same source (Stolen Life), they list two men as "deserted to
                        the enemy": Abraham Sloane and William Spencer. Now "deserted to the
                        enemy" seems unlikely (although not necessarily plain old desertion) and
                        mayhap as it could explain this dead black militiaman. But they also
                        don't cite their source for this information so I'm certainly not in any
                        position to gainsay anybody.

                        I'm just curious. Ask my wife; she'll definitely agree! :D

                        Ian

                        There were no deaths among Runchey's Corps on May 27th. Who else would
                        the black soldier in Glengarry Uniform be but a Glengarry?

                        From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I
                        would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.