RE: Notice of Rank Confirmation

  • Tom Hurlbut
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4 6:46 AM
      <snip>

      "is as of this date advanced to and confirmed in the rank and privileges of
      Commander, Naval Establishments, with seniority of 1 June 2010."

      Egad! This means another new uniform!! My wife will KILL me!

      "Commander" Tom

    • Ian Gardner
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4 8:31 AM
        Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were ever
        black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the
        unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?

        TIA
        Ian
      • peter monahan
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4 8:39 AM
          Ian

          You may already know about Richard Pierpaw/Pierpot/Pierpoint. He was a black veteran of the Revlutionary War, kidnapped in Senegal [I think] and for some time the slave of a British officer. He served throughtout the Revol. war and was given land in Upper Canada with other black Loyalists [Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario]. I believe he was the original proposer of a black corps but when realized it was named after the white officer. Pierpoint was a senior NCO in Runcie's for some time. Not sure if any other black Rangers stayed on with that corps through the 1812 war.

          Peter Monahan
          petemonahan@...
          705-435-0953h / 705-792-8895c

          > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
          > From: igardner@...
          > Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:31:15 -0400
          > Subject: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys
          >
          > Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were ever
          > black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the
          > unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?
          >
          > TIA
          > Ian
          >

          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > War of 1812 Living History:
          > A wide-ranging information exchange
          > for all participants and supporters

          > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
          > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
          > American Forces Unit Listing
          > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
          >
          > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
          > 2010Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ray Hobbs
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4 8:56 AM
            Peter:
            All the references I have seen to Pierpoint in the records of Runchy's Corps are as a Private. I think his age and wisdom made him an unofficial leader in the eyes of the other members of the Corps.
            Ian's question raises an important subject for research - any takers?
            Ray

            To: warof1812@yahoogroups.com
            From: petemonahan@...
            Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 15:39:57 +0000
            Subject: RE: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys

            Ian

            You may already know about Richard Pierpaw/Pierpot/Pierpoint. He was a black veteran of the Revlutionary War, kidnapped in Senegal [I think] and for some time the slave of a British officer. He served throughtout the Revol. war and was given land in Upper Canada with other black Loyalists [Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario]. I believe he was the original proposer of a black corps but when realized it was named after the white officer. Pierpoint was a senior NCO in Runcie's for some time. Not sure if any other black Rangers stayed on with that corps through the 1812 war.

            Peter Monahan

            petemonahan@...

            705-435-0953h / 705-792-8895c

            > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

            > From: igardner@...

            > Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:31:15 -0400

            > Subject: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys

            > Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were ever

            > black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the

            > unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?

            > TIA

            > Ian

            > ------------------------------------

            > War of 1812 Living History:

            > A wide-ranging information exchange

            > for all participants and supporters

            > Crown Forces Unit Listing:

            > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

            > American Forces Unit Listing

            > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

            > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:

            > 2010Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Ian Gardner
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4 9:10 AM
              Hi Peter,

              I'm just going through the Meylers' book on Pierpoint. After the Battle
              of Fort George, they make mention of the body of a black soldier
              identified by an American officer as being a Glengarry and postulate
              that this may have been a misidentification of unit and that the soldier
              may have in fact been from Runchey's.

              Ian

              You may already know about Richard Pierpaw/Pierpot/Pierpoint. He was a
              black veteran of the Revlutionary War, kidnapped in Senegal [I think]
              and for some time the slave of a British officer. He served throughtout
              the Revol. war and was given land in Upper Canada with other black
              Loyalists [Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario]. I believe he
              was the original proposer of a black corps but when realized it was
              named after the white officer. Pierpoint was a senior NCO in Runcie's
              for some time. Not sure if any other black Rangers stayed on with that
              corps through the 1812 war.

              Peter Monahan
              petemonahan@... <mailto:petemonahan%40sympatico.ca>
              705-435-0953h / 705-792-8895c

              > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>
              > From: igardner@... <mailto:igardner%40rogers.com>
              > Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:31:15 -0400
              > Subject: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys
              >
              > Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were
              ever
              > black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the
              > unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?
              >
              > TIA
              > Ian

            • Anna Snipes
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 4 10:43 AM
                Interesting.  I didn't even know that blacks could serve outside of all-black units.  Found this reference to black Glengarrys:

                http://www.blackhistorycanada.com/events.php?themeid=21&id=5

                You may already know about Richard Pierpaw/Pierpot/Pierpoint. He was a
                black veteran of the Revlutionary War, kidnapped in Senegal [I think]
                and for some time the slave of a British officer. He served throughtout
                the Revol. war and was given land in Upper Canada with other black
                Loyalists [Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario]. I believe he
                was the original proposer of a black corps but when realized it was
                named after the white officer. Pierpoint was a senior NCO in Runcie's
                for some time. Not sure if any other black Rangers stayed on with that
                corps through the 1812 war.

                Peter Monahan
                petemonahan@... <mailto:petemonahan%40sympatico.ca>
                705-435-0953h / 705-792-8895c

                > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>
                > From: igardner@... <mailto:igardner%40rogers.com>
                > Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:31:15 -0400
                > Subject: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys
                >
                > Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were
                ever
                > black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the
                > unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?
                >
                > TIA
                > Ian

              • glifencible
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 4 1:07 PM
                  A quick scan through my records, I found one Joseph Fraser. He's described as 5'10 1/2" tall, Complexion - black, Eyes - black, hair - black.

                  He was born in Johnston Parish, Lower Canada, and was 22 when he enlisted in the Glens. Prior to enlisting he was a labourer,

                  Other descriptions of the men included the following:

                  Light
                  Fair
                  Dark
                  Fresh
                  Brown
                • Ian Gardner
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 4 2:22 PM
                    Hi Bill,

                    Do you know if any of the Glengarry's casualties at Fort George were
                    black? Just reconciling the Meyers' account of the black casualty with
                    GLI records

                    Ian

                  • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 7 6:40 AM
                      There were no deaths among Runchey's Corps on May 27th. Who else would the black soldier in Glengarry Uniform be but a Glengarry?

                      From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 7 9:55 AM
                        Ron, I hear you swear all the time.... oh wait....that's not what you meant.... ;-)

                        Kevin

                        To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

                        From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

                      • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 7 3:00 PM
                          Well, perhaps you are mistaking my use of some of the colourful terms of our Saxon and Danish ancestors for swearing. I think that keeping ancestral languages alive can only be achieved through use.

                          Ron

                          Ron, I hear you swear all the time.... oh wait....that's not what you meant.... ;-)

                          Kevin

                          To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

                          From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

                        • Ian Gardner
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 8 6:54 PM
                            It just seemed that a misidentification was a possibility.

                            Using the same source (Stolen Life), they list two men as "deserted to
                            the enemy": Abraham Sloane and William Spencer. Now "deserted to the
                            enemy" seems unlikely (although not necessarily plain old desertion) and
                            mayhap as it could explain this dead black militiaman. But they also
                            don't cite their source for this information so I'm certainly not in any
                            position to gainsay anybody.

                            I'm just curious. Ask my wife; she'll definitely agree! :D

                            Ian

                            There were no deaths among Runchey's Corps on May 27th. Who else would
                            the black soldier in Glengarry Uniform be but a Glengarry?

                            From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I
                            would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.