School of the Sailor Update (cont'd): Notice of Rank Confirmation

  • larrylozon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 3, 2010
      DISPATCH

      ==============================
      TO:

      "CROWN FORCES NORTH AMERICA"

      Unit Commanders,

      Please inform your members

      ==============================

      I am ordered to forward the following

      L. Lozon ~ AdC
      ==============================

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Victor Suthren

      Naval Establishments
      Crown Forces North America
      General Signal
      (With apologies for incomplete last Signal)

      SCHOOL OF THE SAILOR
      Royal Military College of Canada
      Kingston, Ontario
      11-13 June 2010

      Final Roster and Room Allocations

      Rooms are located in Fort La Salle residence
      Rooms marked with an asterisk(*) are double occupancy

      BARUTH, Mary 4088
      BELANGER, Ron 4070
      BUWALDA, Urb 4067
      BOUCHARD, Ken 4050*
      CRAIG, Donnie 4089
      CARSONS, Norman 4068
      COCKBURN, Robert 4069
      CUSICK, Kit 4071
      CHISAMORE, Gordon 4055*
      CROUCH, Simon 4060
      COOPER, Michael 4050*
      COON, Vernon 4072
      DAL PIO, Karen 4052*
      DAL PIO, Walter 4052*
      DOCKSTADER, Paul 4073
      DIXON, John 4054*
      DOBSON, James 4055*
      DOWDELL, Ian 4061*
      FOX, Frank 4062*
      FITTON, Charles LCol 4090
      FISHER, Ken 4057*
      FISHER-MACLELLAN, Shelley 4091
      FAIRHEAD, Vernon (Ship)
      HARRISON, Lance 4066
      HUNTER, Greg 4074
      HOVEY, Glendon 4076
      KIDD, Dale 4092
      MAY, David 4093
      MICHENFELDER, Bryan 4078*
      MORE, Sarah 4094
      MONK, Barbara 4054*
      MATTHEW, John 4061*
      MCCOMB, Douglas 4057*
      NORSWORTHY, Gordon 4095
      PATERSON, Scott 4078*
      REED, Andre 4059*
      RINDLISBACHER, Peter 4096
      ROUTERY, Craig 4058*
      ROUTERY, Matthew 4058*
      STEELE, Fritz 4059*
      SIMONYI, Omar 4097
      SUTHREN, Scott 4098
      SUTHREN, Victor 4099
      SCHIFFERDECKER, Patrick 4056*
      SOPER, Andrew (Home)
      WU, Colin 4100
      WILLIAMS, Craig 4062*
      WOOTTON, John (Ship)
      WOODLEY-HALL, Elizabeth 4101
      ZACH, Kevin 4056*

      Individuals staying in double occupancy rooms will receive two keys for that room. On departure from the rooms Sunday AM you are requested to strip the linen from the bed and place it in the hampers provided at the end of the hallway.

      A Note On Arrival At The College

      You will enter the College by road, passing through the Main Gate from Highway 2. Continue to the end of this road (past a large grey temporary building on your left) until you come to a T-junction. In front of you will be a naval 4.7-inch gun mount on outdoor display. Turn right and continue to the harbour edge, then turn left and go past an F-86 (Canadair) SABRE jet on a pylon. Down a small hill ahead of you, you will see stone gates. Pass through those gates, and on your right will be Fort La Salle. Turn right to park temporarily in front of it and come inside to register and receive rooms keys.

      If roadwork disrupts this route, turn left at the 4.7-inch gun, and follow the road down to Deadman's Bay. It will curve to the right and bring you past the Boathouse to a large, cream-coloured 1820s building, HMS "Stone Frigate". Turn right up the hill at the Stone Frigate and ahead of you will be the Parade Square, with Fort La Salle on the far side. Drive across in front of the main College building and turn left to park in front of Fort La Salle.

      Late Arrivals

      If you are unable to arrive at Fort La Salle during the Registration period of 1400-1700 Friday afternoon 11 June, follow the above instructions to arrive at Fort La Salle. Park there and locate the single statue of an RMC cadet located to the north (or your right if you are looking at Fort La Salle, which has the word "dormitory" chiselled in stone above the door). Walk toward the statue, leave it to your right, and continue straight ahead to the modern Building 27 on the Campus Map, the Girouard building. Go up the steps in front of you to the glass enclosure on the right at the top of the stairs, and the door marked by a sign that reads "Security Control Centre". Immediately inside is the SCC, where the Event Roster will be placed and the room keys left. Identify yourself as a School of the Sailor participant, pick up your keys and return to onload your vehicle and move in.

      On completion of unloading, re-park your vehicle on the lakefront road which circles Point Frederick (see Campus Map for location marked 2). The "Meet and Greet" will be taking place at the Senior Staff Mess/Coggins Club, which is marked 4, commencing at 1900 and going to 2100 (cash bar).

      RMC Liaison Officer

      Our RMC Liaison Officer is Lieutenant (Navy) Harold Card, who handles special events for the College. Harold may be reached during the day at (613) 541-6000, extension 6543.

      Flotilla

      The Training Flotilla of the schooner "La Revenante", the cutter "Witch of A'burg", and the whaler "Rolette", will have arrived ahead of most participants. They will be located at St Lawrence Pier, marked 8 on the campus map.

      Final Queries

      Should you need to get in touch with me before departing for Kingston, call me at (613) 269-3609 (land), (613) 204-0356 (cell), or e-mail me at suthren(at)magma.ca

      To honour we call you
      Not press you like slaves
      For who are so free
      As the sons of the waves?

      Yours aye

      Victor Suthren
      Captain(N)

      'Commodore pro tem
      Naval Establishments
      Crown Forces North America'

      Project Head
      Colonial Sailor Program

      GOD SAVE THE KING.

      Naval Establishments
      Crown Forces North America
      General Signal

      Confirmation of Rank

      In recognition of achievements in naval leadership recently executed on the waters of Lake Simcoe and attested to by observors and participants, and having now satisfied in all respects the Rank Requirements of the Naval Establishments, Crown Forces North America,

      Acting Commander Thomas Hurlbut, Esq.
      Commanding Officer, Lake Simcoe Station

      is as of this date advanced to and confirmed in the rank and privileges of Commander, Naval Establishments, with seniority of 1 June 2010.

      Entered in the Log and Register at Headquarters, Naval Establishments, Merrickville, U.C. this 3rd day of June, Anno Domini 2010.

      Victor Suthren

      Commodore pro tem
      Naval Establishments
      Crown Forces North America

      GOD SAVE THE KING.
    • Tom Hurlbut
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
        <snip>

        "is as of this date advanced to and confirmed in the rank and privileges of
        Commander, Naval Establishments, with seniority of 1 June 2010."

        Egad! This means another new uniform!! My wife will KILL me!

        "Commander" Tom

      • Ian Gardner
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
          Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were ever
          black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the
          unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?

          TIA
          Ian
        • peter monahan
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
            Ian

            You may already know about Richard Pierpaw/Pierpot/Pierpoint. He was a black veteran of the Revlutionary War, kidnapped in Senegal [I think] and for some time the slave of a British officer. He served throughtout the Revol. war and was given land in Upper Canada with other black Loyalists [Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario]. I believe he was the original proposer of a black corps but when realized it was named after the white officer. Pierpoint was a senior NCO in Runcie's for some time. Not sure if any other black Rangers stayed on with that corps through the 1812 war.

            Peter Monahan
            petemonahan@...
            705-435-0953h / 705-792-8895c

            > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
            > From: igardner@...
            > Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:31:15 -0400
            > Subject: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys
            >
            > Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were ever
            > black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the
            > unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?
            >
            > TIA
            > Ian
            >

            > ------------------------------------
            >
            > War of 1812 Living History:
            > A wide-ranging information exchange
            > for all participants and supporters

            > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
            > American Forces Unit Listing
            > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
            >
            > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
            > 2010Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Ray Hobbs
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
              Peter:
              All the references I have seen to Pierpoint in the records of Runchy's Corps are as a Private. I think his age and wisdom made him an unofficial leader in the eyes of the other members of the Corps.
              Ian's question raises an important subject for research - any takers?
              Ray

              To: warof1812@yahoogroups.com
              From: petemonahan@...
              Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 15:39:57 +0000
              Subject: RE: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys

              Ian

              You may already know about Richard Pierpaw/Pierpot/Pierpoint. He was a black veteran of the Revlutionary War, kidnapped in Senegal [I think] and for some time the slave of a British officer. He served throughtout the Revol. war and was given land in Upper Canada with other black Loyalists [Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario]. I believe he was the original proposer of a black corps but when realized it was named after the white officer. Pierpoint was a senior NCO in Runcie's for some time. Not sure if any other black Rangers stayed on with that corps through the 1812 war.

              Peter Monahan

              petemonahan@...

              705-435-0953h / 705-792-8895c

              > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

              > From: igardner@...

              > Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:31:15 -0400

              > Subject: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys

              > Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were ever

              > black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the

              > unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?

              > TIA

              > Ian

              > ------------------------------------

              > War of 1812 Living History:

              > A wide-ranging information exchange

              > for all participants and supporters

              > Crown Forces Unit Listing:

              > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

              > American Forces Unit Listing

              > http://usforces1812.tripod.com

              > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:

              > 2010Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ian Gardner
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                Hi Peter,

                I'm just going through the Meylers' book on Pierpoint. After the Battle
                of Fort George, they make mention of the body of a black soldier
                identified by an American officer as being a Glengarry and postulate
                that this may have been a misidentification of unit and that the soldier
                may have in fact been from Runchey's.

                Ian

                You may already know about Richard Pierpaw/Pierpot/Pierpoint. He was a
                black veteran of the Revlutionary War, kidnapped in Senegal [I think]
                and for some time the slave of a British officer. He served throughtout
                the Revol. war and was given land in Upper Canada with other black
                Loyalists [Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario]. I believe he
                was the original proposer of a black corps but when realized it was
                named after the white officer. Pierpoint was a senior NCO in Runcie's
                for some time. Not sure if any other black Rangers stayed on with that
                corps through the 1812 war.

                Peter Monahan
                petemonahan@... <mailto:petemonahan%40sympatico.ca>
                705-435-0953h / 705-792-8895c

                > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>
                > From: igardner@... <mailto:igardner%40rogers.com>
                > Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:31:15 -0400
                > Subject: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys
                >
                > Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were
                ever
                > black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the
                > unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?
                >
                > TIA
                > Ian

              • Anna Snipes
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                  Interesting.  I didn't even know that blacks could serve outside of all-black units.  Found this reference to black Glengarrys:

                  http://www.blackhistorycanada.com/events.php?themeid=21&id=5

                  You may already know about Richard Pierpaw/Pierpot/Pierpoint. He was a
                  black veteran of the Revlutionary War, kidnapped in Senegal [I think]
                  and for some time the slave of a British officer. He served throughtout
                  the Revol. war and was given land in Upper Canada with other black
                  Loyalists [Oro Township, just north of Barrie, Ontario]. I believe he
                  was the original proposer of a black corps but when realized it was
                  named after the white officer. Pierpoint was a senior NCO in Runcie's
                  for some time. Not sure if any other black Rangers stayed on with that
                  corps through the 1812 war.

                  Peter Monahan
                  petemonahan@... <mailto:petemonahan%40sympatico.ca>
                  705-435-0953h / 705-792-8895c

                  > To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com <mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > From: igardner@... <mailto:igardner%40rogers.com>
                  > Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:31:15 -0400
                  > Subject: 1812 Black members of the Glengarrys
                  >
                  > Just a quick question for the list. Does anyone know if there were
                  ever
                  > black members of the Glengarrys and if so, whether they stayed in the
                  > unit after the formation of Runchey's Corps?
                  >
                  > TIA
                  > Ian

                • glifencible
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                    A quick scan through my records, I found one Joseph Fraser. He's described as 5'10 1/2" tall, Complexion - black, Eyes - black, hair - black.

                    He was born in Johnston Parish, Lower Canada, and was 22 when he enlisted in the Glens. Prior to enlisting he was a labourer,

                    Other descriptions of the men included the following:

                    Light
                    Fair
                    Dark
                    Fresh
                    Brown
                  • Ian Gardner
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                      Hi Bill,

                      Do you know if any of the Glengarry's casualties at Fort George were
                      black? Just reconciling the Meyers' account of the black casualty with
                      GLI records

                      Ian

                    • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                        There were no deaths among Runchey's Corps on May 27th. Who else would the black soldier in Glengarry Uniform be but a Glengarry?

                        From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                          Ron, I hear you swear all the time.... oh wait....that's not what you meant.... ;-)

                          Kevin

                          To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

                          From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

                        • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 7, 2010
                            Well, perhaps you are mistaking my use of some of the colourful terms of our Saxon and Danish ancestors for swearing. I think that keeping ancestral languages alive can only be achieved through use.

                            Ron

                            Ron, I hear you swear all the time.... oh wait....that's not what you meant.... ;-)

                            Kevin

                            To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

                            From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.

                          • Ian Gardner
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 8, 2010
                              It just seemed that a misidentification was a possibility.

                              Using the same source (Stolen Life), they list two men as "deserted to
                              the enemy": Abraham Sloane and William Spencer. Now "deserted to the
                              enemy" seems unlikely (although not necessarily plain old desertion) and
                              mayhap as it could explain this dead black militiaman. But they also
                              don't cite their source for this information so I'm certainly not in any
                              position to gainsay anybody.

                              I'm just curious. Ask my wife; she'll definitely agree! :D

                              Ian

                              There were no deaths among Runchey's Corps on May 27th. Who else would
                              the black soldier in Glengarry Uniform be but a Glengarry?

                              From what I understand there were five Black members of the GLIF but I
                              would have to do some serious genealogical work before swearing by it.