Idle curiosity: historical fiction for the era

  • John Ogden
    Message 1 of 11 , May 6, 2010
      All,

      I was wondering if anyone out there can recommend some historical
      fiction for this war. While Bernard Cornwell's *Sharpe* series does cover
      the time frame, it is pretty specific to Europe. I have read Nevin's
      *1812*and enjoyed it, and am looking for something in a similar vein.
      Thank you.
      Looking forward to Ft. Meigs right after my exams are over for the
      semester...

      --
      John J. Ogden

      Message 2 of 11 , May 6, 2010
        John,

        William H. White has a three volume War of 1812 naval trilogy.

        Regards,
        Jim G.

        In a message dated 5/6/2010 5:29:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        johnjogden@... writes:

        All,

        I was wondering if anyone out there can recommend some historical
        fiction for this war. While Bernard Cornwell's *Sharpe* series does cover
        the time frame, it is pretty specific to Europe. I have read Nevin's
        *1812*and enjoyed it, and am looking for something in a similar vein.
        Thank you.
        Looking forward to Ft. Meigs right after my exams are over for the
        semester...

        --
        John J. Ogden

      • Victor Suthren
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2010
          You might try the American author William White, who has written several novels set during the War of 1812.

          Vic Suthren

          Message 4 of 11 , May 6, 2010
            An excellent book is LORDS of the LAKE by Robert Malcomson it's about the Naval War on Lake Ontario
            Andre
          • fifendrums
            Message 5 of 11 , May 7, 2010
              A related question:
              Are there ANY good War of 1812 movies?
              The only one I can think of might be "The Buccaneer" with Charlton Heston (and one could debate whether it is good)
              Are there any planned with the bicentennial coming up?
            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , May 7, 2010
                Well, the earlier version (Frederick March) is actualy better. There the Brits have a rather Rev War look and the battle is filmed outside whereas the CH one has a British army composed entirely (apart from some red coated rocket troops) of Victorian Highlanders! Perhaps the best recent one was the Far Side of the World, portion of Master and Commander, though of course to encourage ticket sales the Americans were changed to French so I don't suppose that counts.

                I know of at least 4 scripts out there (3 on the battle of NO and surrounding events) but so far I know of nothing that has got funding to get into pre-production. It may happen of course but frankly I wouldn't hold my breath.

                All the best,

                The only one I can think of might be "The Buccaneer" with Charlton Heston (and one could debate whether it is good)
                Are there any planned with the bicentennial coming up?

              • Ray Hobbs
                Message 7 of 11 , May 7, 2010
                  John:
                  There are some good writers of Napoleonic fiction apart from Cornwell. See Mallinson, Scarrow and Youds. However, I can't think of any good who wrote specifically on the war of 1812. There was one written by a Canadian Mennonite (Block) about a chap who joined the Militia from a Mennonite community - hardy the stuff to excite, and it didn't.
                  I also read Nevin, but thought it rather comical. I may be mistaken, but I believe that was the one in which the Glengarries were seen brandishing their claymores!
                  Best regards, and happy hunting
                  Ray

                  To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                  From: johnjogden@...
                  Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 17:29:04 -0400

                • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 7, 2010
                    There are various novels that are set on the high seas during the War of 1812. Among the better writers whose heros clash with Yankees are Alexander Kent, Patrick O'Brien, Dudley Pope, C. Northcote Parkinson and CS Forester.

                    Once you have the tar on your hands and are panting for more nautical tales I would highly recommend Vic Suthren's novels which, although set earlier, are terrific books.

                    Ron

                    here are some good writers of Napoleonic fiction apart from Cornwell. See
                    allinson, Scarrow and Youds. However, I can't think of any good who wrote
                    pecifically on the war of 1812. There was one written by a Canadian Mennonite
                    Block) about a chap who joined the Militia from a Mennonite community - hardy
                    he stuff to excite, and it didn't.
                    also read Nevin, but thought it rather comical. I may be mistaken, but I
                    elieve that was the one in which the Glengarries were seen brandishing their
                    laymores!
                    est regards, and happy hunting
                    ay
                    To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
                    rom: johnjogden@...
                    ate: Thu, 6 May 2010 17:29:04 -0400
                    ubject: 1812 Idle curiosity: historical fiction for the era

                    All,

                    I was wondering if anyone out there can recommend some historical
                    fiction for this war. While Bernard Cornwell's *Sharpe* series does cover
                    the time frame, it is pretty specific to Europe. I have read Nevin's
                    *1812*and enjoyed it, and am looking for something in a similar vein.
                    Thank you.
                    Looking forward to Ft. Meigs right after my exams are over for the
                    semester...

                    --
                    John J. Ogden

                    ------------------------------------
                    War of 1812 Living History:
                    wide-ranging information exchange
                    or all participants and supporters

                    nit Contact information for North America:
                    Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                    http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
                    American Forces Unit Listing
                    http://usforces1812.tripod.com
                    WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
                    010Yahoo! Groups Links
                    Individual Email | Traditional
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • larrylozon
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 7, 2010
                      May I suggest

                      FIRST INVASION – THE WAR OF 1812

                      It was on the American History Channel (yes the Canucks have a different History Channel)
                      And is available at

                      NATIVE SUN PRODUCTIONS
                      Ph. 219-477-3740
                      Fax 219-477-5487
                      E-mail: nativesun2(at)yahoo.com
                      www.nativesunproductions.com

                      Hope this helps

                      Yrs.
                      L2

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 7, 2010
                        A film that also dealt with the sea war of 1812 was "Captain Caution", with Victor Mature, from the 1940s.

                        Vic Suthren

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 7, 2010
                          Also available from Amazon.com in the United States and Amazon.ca in Canada

                          John

                          _____