Re: 1812 Rifle Uniform

  • larrylozon
    Message 1 of 13 , May 5, 2010
      Mark

      The post was, " I have decided on is, a rifle regiment in the fringed hunting coat."

      therefore he has decided on US Rifles, Perhaps he should contact someone who portrays a USA Rifleman by visiting http://usforces1812.tripod.com

      Dolsen's Rifles were a Crown Unit and my research so far is they had no uniforms.

      Yrs.
      L2

      --- "Mark Dickerson" wrote:

      Are you looking at doing British or US? Forsyth's Rifles? Dolsen's Rifles? There are many to choose from.

      On Behalf Of Kieven

      Hi. I am starting a range of 1812 28mm wargame figures, and the first unit I have decided on is, a rifle regiment in the fringed hunting coat. What I need to know is what the officer would be wearing also the drummer, I have assumed the standard bearer would be wearing the same as the troops.Look forward to hearing from you.
    • Grenzer7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , May 6, 2010
        What I need to know is what the officer would be wearing also the drummer,
        I have assumed the standard bearer would be wearing the same as the troops.

        So far as I know, officers may be in the regulation uniform (green or gray)
        while the bugler (no drummer) could be in either regulation uniform or the
        hunting frock, but more likely the regulation uniform. The U.S. Rifles
        wouldn't carry colours in the field, so no need of the standard bearer...
        unless you're on parade.

        John Goldsworthy
        St. Thomas, ON

        "Anyone can grow up; It takes a real man to be a boy all his life."

      • Kieven
        Message 3 of 13 , May 6, 2010
          That is much appreciated, I had thought about the drummer after I had posted the question, but the standard bearer I did not know.With the bugler would it be the circular type horn ie as in the AWI or the more modern type. Thankyou everyone for your help.

          Message 4 of 13 , May 8, 2010
            Regarding the bugle, I'm unsure. The only information I've run across is
            that the bugle was the more circular hunting horn rather than the more
            elongated modern bugle. But like I said, I'm unsure.

            Message 5 of 13 , May 9, 2010
              Thanks for that, I have been pointed towards a picture by someone and it cleary shows a rifleman with a French horn, so that is another part of the puzzle solved