Re: Petition to Prime Minister to restore title "Royal Canadian Navy and Air Force"

  • petemonahan
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2010
      Sarah More wrote...

      "Esteemed List, my apologies this is a little off-topic.

      The Monarchist League of Canada cordially invites you to contact Prime Minister Harper requesting the Canadian Navy and Air Force be restored with the proud title of "Royal Canadian Navy and Air Force."...

      As a committed supporter of Constitutional Monarchy, good government, and legitimate authority, I believe the Canadian Navy and Air Force have proven their commitment to these ideals and deserve to carry a title of Royal designation as envisioned by the Fathers of Confederation."

      1) Yes, this is off topic.

      2) Being a pedantic grammarian, I point out that the titles [plural] were: "Royal Canadian Air Force" and "Royal Canadian Navy", not the single title "Royal Canadian Navy and Air Force as you suggest.

      3) As no Canadian existed before 1911 and no air force until 1928, the Fathers of Confederation could hardly have had any intentions towards them, never mind specific ideas on proper nomenclature for them.

      If you wish your endeavours in this matter to be taken seriously, it behoves you to get the basic facts straight before approaching the public with them.

      Peter Monahan
    • John-Paul Johnson
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2010
        If I might add something to Peter's Post:

        The Minister of National Defence, just this past weekend, announced the return of the "Executive Curl" to the sleeve braid of Canadian naval officers' uniforms as part of the celebration of the Canadian Naval Centennial. The rumour mill on this has been going for several months now.

        Now, seeing as today is actually the Navy's 100th birthday and seeing that this petition has been kicking around for a number of years; if the title Royal Canadian Navy was going to be restored now would be the time and I think we'd've heard something already. That would be just TOO big an announce to stay secret for long.

        Happy B-day to Canadian Navy!

        J-P Johnson

        ________________________________
[...]

        ------------------------------------

        War of 1812 Living History:
        A wide-ranging information exchange
        for all participants and supporters

        Crown Forces Unit Listing:
        http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
        American Forces Unit Listing
        http://usforces1812.tripod.com

        WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:
        2010Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tom Hurlbut
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2010
          Thanks Sarah. We of a naval persuasion have been looking at this for a
          while.

          Gawd, I love tradition! Even short term ones!

          "Commander" Tom

          _____

          Subject: 1812 Petition to Prime Minister to restore title "Royal Canadian
          Navy and Air Force"

          <snip

          Esteemed List, my apologies this is a little off-topic.

          The Monarchist League of Canada cordially invites you to contact Prime
          Minister Harper requesting the Canadian Navy and Air Force be restored with
          the proud title of "Royal Canadian Navy and Air Force." Please contact
          pm@... <mailto:pm%40pm.gc.ca> .

          Thank you,
          Sarah More

        • petemonahan
          Message 4 of 4 , May 5, 2010
            I wish to apologize for my churlish outburst yesterday in answer to Sarah More's posting. It was unmannerly and uncalled for. Again, my apologies.

            In fact, I think the restoration of the title "Royal Canadian Navy" would be an excellent idea, preserving the traditions of a noble service. Happy Birthday, RCN!

            Peter Monahan

            P.S. Ed, I said I was pedantic. I never said I could type!