Re: Fw: [starspangled200] new book on James Wilkinson

  • James Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30 2:38 PM
      Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm not sure why you hesitated to?

      I think it's common knowledge that Wilkinson was always operating with a view to enriching himself at every opportunity (like some modern politicians, even in our supposedly more enlightened times...), but it will be still definitely be fun to read a book that presumably clearly delineates all his antics.

      It's rogues like Wilkinson that make studying history fun!

      Jim Yaworsky
      41st

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Sarah More <recce40@...> wrote:

      > Not sure if I should share this since I am Canadian-American but I love you and both countries very much.
      >
      > Kind regards,
      > Sarah More

    • richard lytle
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2010
        As a follow-up to James Yaworsky's comments, I would like to add my impressions of the book recently published entitled James Wilkinson: Artist in Treason. I found that book to be very enlightening regarding the activities of that man and especially strong in the research that was done in Europe. However, the author's color comments regarding the US Army officers and activities with which the General interacted and operated left me with the feeling that the general atmosphere, character and characteristics were not fully understood and thus misrepresented. Yes, that was a minor drawback and therefore excusable when compared to the bulk of the otherwise excellent work.

        Richard Lytle