Update: Naval Establishments School of the Sailor
School of the Sailor
11-13 June 2010
1. Planning continues for the 2010 Crown Forces Naval Establishments School of the Sailor, to be held 11-13 June, 2010, at Royal Military College of Canada, Kingston, Ontario. The School is supported by the Colonial Sailor Program (CSP) of the Directorate of Naval History and Heritage of the Canadian Navy, and courtesy of the Commandant, RMC of C.
2. A logistic and organizational planning meeting with RMC staff will be held at RMC Wednesday 28 April to confirm the Event Scenario and details of accommodation, meals, parking, and the operation of the School's flotilla of training vessels. A further Update message will be issued following that meeting, and then Final Orders for the School will be issued toward the end of May, and will include directions on getting to the School and the location of the Royal Military College of Canada at Kingston.
3. Participants are to note once again that upon arrival on the College grounds and the issuance of residence room keys following registration, the wearing of correct 1812 naval dress will be mandatory at all times until departure Sunday morning.
4. The Training Flotilla has been altered, and will consist of the following vessels:
La Revenante, 30-ton replica 19th Century schooner (flotilla leader) (Captain Vernon Fairhead)
Witch of A'burg, 32-foot cutter under sail and oar (Coxswain Peter Rindlisbacher)
Rolette, 27-foot whaler under sail and oar (Provincial Marine Association)
5. Instruction in Seamanship, Ropework, and Small Arms will be provided by specialists who will be identified in later update messages, and this will be incorporated into the rotations through the three vessels which will take place afloat (weather and sea state permitting), with the intent of having each participant experience each of the Training Flotilla vessels under way.
6. A box lunch will be provided to all participants for the Saturday, and the Flotilla will raft/anchor as weather allows for lunch afloat in the waters off Kingston harbour.
7. Participants now listed for the School of the Sailor are as follows. Please advise if you have registered but your name does not appear. Any individual now not intending to take part, or known to be not coming, should be made known to me as soon as possible, as there is a Waiting List of others who wish to take part:
Karen Dal Pio
Walter Dal Pio
John Matthew IV
To Honour we call you
Not Press you like slaves
For who are so free
As the sons of the waves?
I have the Honour to be
Yours with great Regard
Commodore pro tem
Crown Forces North America
GOD SAVE THE KING.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]