Admiral Sir Charles Kingsmill Lecture, April 28th, Guelph

  • tom4141fournier
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2010
      Sorry for the cross post but this is on behalf of Guelph Museums who have been a very good supporter of us. Also thought it might interest some of our navy folks.

      Tom Fournier
      41st Regiment

      Lecture in Recognition of 100th Anniversary of Canadian Navy

      Guelph, Ontario: Guelph Museums and the Laurier Centre for Military, Strategic and Disarmament Studies (LCMSDS) in Waterloo present the first annual Admiral Sir Charles Kingsmill Lecture on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 at 7:30 pm at the Arboretum Auditorium. 2010 is the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Canadian Navy and the first Director of the Naval Service, Admiral Charles Kingsmill, was born in Guelph on July 7, 1855.

      The inaugural Kingsmill lecture will be delivered by Dr. Marc Milner from the University of New Brunswick. His talk is entitled, Canada's Navy at 100: What have we learned from the first century of this 'costly and hazardous' experiment? Dr. Milner is the Director of UNB's Brigadier Milton F. Gregg Centre for the Study of War and Society and his appearance in Guelph is sponsored by LCMSDS. The lecture will begin at 7:30 pm and the doors open at 6:30 pm. There is no admission and no reservations. The entrance to the Arboretum is located off College Avenue East near Victoria Road.

      This lecture is an extension of the popular military history lecture series that have been held at Guelph Civic Museum for the past three years. The fourth lecture series will begin in the fall. It is the intention to make the Kingsmill Lecture an annual event and to feature a topic related to naval history.

      For further information please contact Katherine McCracken, Director, Guelph Museums, at 519-836-1221 x2775.