Sackets Harbor/Fort Gerorge conflict

  • Victor Suthren
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2010
      The conflict between these two fine events is very regrettable, given that among the ranks of Revolutionary War re-enactors we would hope to find new participants for the 1812 Bicentennial. Hopefully a complimentary rather than competitive 1812/Rev War schedule will be in place for the key 1812 Bicentennial years; otherwise both will suffer.

      The naval component of upcoming events seems less likely to involve conflict, as the 1812 organizations have established regulated and extensive naval departments, and have been active in creating fleet-scale amphibious operations (such as at Toronto in 2000 and Niagara-on-the-lake in 2005) involving sailing vessels and longboat flotillas, while the Revolutionary War organizations seem to give less emphasis to naval activity. Nonetheless, diligence will be necessary there as well to ensure conflicts do not occur.

      Vic Suthren
      Naval Establishments
      Crown Forces North America