Events at Fort George

  • DAVID BRUNELLE
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
      Hi Everyone,

      Does anyone have any information on events taking place at Fort George
      not only for 1812 but for other time periods as well including time lines?
      If so please let me know!

      Thanks!

      David Brunelle
    • ronaldjdale@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 29, 2010
        Hi David,

        Are you looking for information on events between 2012 and 2014?

        Ron

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 30, 2010
          Dave,

          The Rev War event at Fort George looks to be the biggest Rev event happening this year in the North and East. It is being sponsored by Northern Brigade (specifically Coy of Select Marksmen) and is a recommended event by British Brigade, Continental Line and Brigade of the American Revolution. Almost all of the big Rev War events last season were rained out (one cancelled outright due to rain) so this looks to be a good one. Tentative numbers are 1200-1500 re-enactors with a few good merchants from the States coming up; Roy Najecki may be able to be attend (dependant on Deborahs health)and others from Quebec and the US.

          July 31/August 1 - Loyalists & The American Revolution, Fort George

          This should be a good event to visit and likely an excellant recruiting venue for the bi-centennial.

          Cheers,

          Len

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "DAVID BRUNELLE" <davidbrunelle@...> wrote:

          > Hi Everyone,
          >
          > Does anyone have any information on events taking place at Fort George
          > not only for 1812 but for other time periods as well including time lines?
          > If so please let me know!
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > David Brunelle

        • Victor Suthren
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 30, 2010
            It's regrettable that it is on the same weekend as the 1812 Grand Tactical at Sackets Harbor.

            Vic Suthren
            The Rev War event at Fort George looks to be the biggest Rev event happening this year in the North and East. It is being sponsored by Northern Brigade (specifically Coy of Select Marksmen) and is a recommended event by British Brigade, Continental Line and Brigade of the American Revolution. Almost all of the big Rev War events last season were rained out (one cancelled outright due to rain) so this looks to be a good one. Tentative numbers are 1200-1500 re-enactors with a few good merchants from the States coming up; Roy Najecki may be able to be attend (dependant on Deborahs health)and others from Quebec and the US.

            July 31/August 1 - Loyalists & The American Revolution, Fort George

            This should be a good event to visit and likely an excellant recruiting venue for the bi-centennial.

            Cheers,

            Len

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "DAVID BRUNELLE" <davidbrunelle@...> wrote:

            > Hi Everyone,
            >
            > Does anyone have any information on events taking place at Fort George
            > not only for 1812 but for other time periods as well including time lines?
            > If so please let me know!
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > David Brunelle

          • Jack reimer
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 30, 2010
              Regretfully that's the same weekend as Sackett's Harbor, is it not? Jack Reimer 1St Royal Scots ---------- Sent from AT&T's Wireless network using Mobile Email

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com<mailto:WarOf1812%40yahoogroups.com>, "DAVID BRUNELLE" <davidbrunelle@...> wrote:

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > Does anyone have any information on events taking place at Fort George
              > not only for 1812 but for other time periods as well including time lines?
              > If so please let me know!
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > David Brunelle

            • Tom Hurlbut
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 31, 2010
                Yes, it would have been a sensational opportunity for many things if the
                organizers had communicated with the War of 1812 folks and avoided the
                obvious scheduling conflict with the Grand Tactical. As it is, Ontario's and
                New York's re-enacting community will be split between opposite ends of the
                lake.

                As it is, I see the strong possibility that both events will be somewhat
                diminished by this, and while those whose loyalties will lean towards one or
                the other genre, just imagine how much better BOTH events would have been
                in terms of numbers and equipment (like boats and cannon).

                Signed,

                A saddened "Commander" Tom

                _____

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 31, 2010
                  This scheduling conflict is more than unfortunate. It seems somewhat asinine and discourteous. Two sites that are preeminent 1812 venues should consider each other when scheduling. I am not sure which schedule was set first but I hope those who are pulled in both directions will consider the importance of the Sackets Harbor event in the light of the recent budgetary issues that threaten that place.

                  YHOS
                  C. Murphy
                  USS CON 1812 MG
                  USMCHC
                • Tom Hurlbut
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 31, 2010
                    Colin says:

                    <snip>

                    "Two sites that are preeminent 1812 venues should consider each other when
                    scheduling."

                    I suspect scheduling around other sites was considered, to a point. Fort
                    Niagara has an event just before, and Fort Erie one just after. Fort George,
                    squarely in between, picked an "open" weekend on the Niagara Frontier, and a
                    different re-enactment genre to boot. Sackets is a different park authority
                    entirely and well removed geographically. It's just that many of us will
                    travel quite some distance for "big" events.

                    I guess there's bound to be conflicts as we only have so many weekends in
                    the year.

                    So, is it fair to expect other time periods to "step aside" when big dates
                    come up? An interesting question to ask since some sites rely heavily on
                    certain genres for their bread and butter.

                    Tom

                  • westhouse03
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 31, 2010
                      ...and consider our genre is one of the smallest. What did someone say Fort Niagara could expect in numbers? 1200-1400? Fort George GT was the largest we had at 1200, the other GTs were much smaller and our normally event 400-600? So why would they, larger, step aside for us, smaller?

                      The site, as you said, must consider it is also a business and must schedule to their needs and those of the summer tourist season which limits them to 8-12 weeks.

                      It is just unfortunate and one would hope that they DO look at the calendars of events for each time period to see what is about and around them as many jump genres.

                      Dave.

                      So, is it fair to expect other time periods to "step aside" when big dates come up? An interesting question to ask since some sites rely heavily on certain genres for their bread and butter.

                      Tom
                    • queenstongreentiger
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 31, 2010
                        Dave,
                        I would tell you that 1812ers that re-enact both periods are lobbying very heavy to reduce the schedule through the Bicentennial. I have assurances from the leadership of Northern Brigade ( largely the Canadian Rev War Contingent ) that only one All Up a year will be focused on from 2012 to 2015.

                        As a point of interest the August Fort George event date was selected 2 years ago at the British Brigade meeting.
                        Cheers,

                        Dave Smith
                        Canadian Fencibles

                        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "westhouse03" <westhouse@...> wrote:

                        > ...and consider our genre is one of the smallest. What did someone say Fort Niagara could expect in numbers? 1200-1400? Fort George GT was the largest we had at 1200, the other GTs were much smaller and our normally event 400-600? So why would they, larger, step aside for us, smaller?
                        >
                        > The site, as you said, must consider it is also a business and must schedule to their needs and those of the summer tourist season which limits them to 8-12 weeks.
                        >
                        > It is just unfortunate and one would hope that they DO look at the calendars of events for each time period to see what is about and around them as many jump genres.
                        >
                        > Dave.
                        >

                        > So, is it fair to expect other time periods to "step aside" when big dates come up? An interesting question to ask since some sites rely heavily on certain genres for their bread and butter.
                        >

                        > Tom

                      • Tom Hurlbut
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 31, 2010
                          Hi Dave

                          Yes, I have heard (got an earful, in fact) that the George event was on the
                          books a while ago. I guess I/we need to pay more attention.

                          Tom

                          _____

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                            Fort George -

                            If the Grand tactical was not opposite this event, Ft George would be my next choice for FERRET. Indeed, if I had heard of it sooner there is a strong chance I'd be there instead.

                            This was the site of the first re-enactment that we ever attended (thanks to Peter R - or "curse you Peter R" depending on the event) and decided to form the group a short while later.

                            Fort George has been very good to us through the years and we are always happy to support them when we can.

                            WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com writes:

                            >Hi Dave
                            >
                            >Yes, I have heard (got an earful, in fact) that the George event was on the
                            >books a while ago. I guess I/we need to pay more attention.
                            >
                            >Tom
                          • usmarine1814
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                              Ft. George was set 2 years ago and the Sack. Harb. event (for the past 7 years) has beenthe first Weekend of every August(whether it be anentire of half weekend). This now known I must withdraw, and apologize for my previous comments (ie "asinine and discourteous")because of my sincere high regards for both sites, staffs and for those who put in great effort to help plan these events year in and year out for the enjoyment of the rest of us.

                              YHOS
                              C Murphy
                              USS CON 1812 MG
                              USMCHC

                              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Hurlbut" <hurlbut8646@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Dave
                              >

                              > Yes, I have heard (got an earful, in fact) that the George event was on the
                              > books a while ago. I guess I/we need to pay more attention.
                              >

                              > Tom
                              >

                              > _____

                            • "Captain Jack"
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 1, 2010
                                It would of been a great opportunity for our 1st Bn 23rd RWF to do two events back east had one or the other been on ajoining weekends, As our parent unit is the RWFA or Rev-War we are attending Fort George, would of be nice to catch Sackets Harbor the weekend before or after.

                                Cheers Captain "Jack" Pritchard Royal Welsh Fusiliers in America Homepage

                                Captain Joseph Ferguson's Company 23rd Regiment of Foot Royal Welch Fusiliers Foundation for Early America

                                1st Bn. RWF 23rd in Spain 1809 Fusiliers in Spain