Re: Rifles- vs. Light Infantry

  • NINETY3RD@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2000
      In a message dated 02/2/2000 8:36:57 AM, shirst@... writes:

      << At this our particular stage in history the rifle as an effective weapon

      was still in its infancy. The rifle only really comes into an "age of

      glory" during the Civil War with the introduction of the Minie ball. >>

      Actually a little before that --- there was this place called the Crimea.....

      Cheers!
    • Sean
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2000

        >Actually a little before that --- there was this place called the Crimea.....
        >
        >Cheers!

        Sorry Benton... this is an oft overlooked wonderfully brutal little war in
        which the Minie was used to great effect quite some time before the
        Americans put it into practice. I should have known to be more sensitive to
        the gallantry of the vaunted "Thin Red Line." ;-)

        S´┐Żan
      • IX Regiment
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2000
          >Sorry Benton... this is an oft overlooked wonderfully brutal little war in
          >which the Minie was used to great effect quite some time before the
          >Americans put it into practice. I should have known to be more sensitive to
          >the gallantry of the vaunted "Thin Red Line." ;-)
          >
          >San

          and it wasn't just the thin red line, there were a lot of other good
          units there even if the Command wasn't up to much.

          Cheers

          P**
          --
          IX Regiment