Rifle Uniform

  • lenthecooper
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 12 7:11 PM
      Hello All,

      I just ran across this interesting photo of Lt Sopers (Lincoln Militia) green uniform in the Toronto Museum website:
      http://www.torontomuseumproject.ca/Stories/Details.aspx?ID=75&artID=206

      Cheers,

      Len
    • gary beauregard
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 12 7:41 PM
        Do the lapels actually function?

        Beau

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 13 4:49 AM
          Len:
          A very nice specimen. But I think 'tis Leeds, not Lincoln Militia.
          Ray

          To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 13 6:05 AM
            For those on our esteemed list who have been looking for options when creating a period gentleman's vest, Kathleen Kannick from "Kannick's Korner" has posted that they are now offering the Men's Single-Breasted Waistcoat 1790-1815.
            There is more information concerning it on her site...

            http://www.kannikskorner.com/patmen2.htm#KK-4202

            I had the honor of being a beta tester for the initial draft at a symposium/workshop at Ft. Meigs, and I can say that it goes together nicely and is quite complete in its range of options as well as codifying their origins.

            Yours in our common pursuit...

            Craig Fisher
            1st Regiment Volunteers
            US Forces
            www.firstregiment.com
          • sgtwarner@sympatico.ca
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 13 6:33 AM
              It's been twenty -odd years since I had the opportunity to examine the coatee, but I believe that yes they do function. And Ray you are correct , Levi Soper was in the Leeds County Militia, Rifle company.Leeds county is along the St.Lawrence in Ontario.
              It has been theorized that because the construction this uniform is consistent with US regulations that Soper either had it made by a US tailor or it was captured goods from Ogdensburg.Craig

              To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
              From: beau@...
              Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 19:41:09 -0800
              Subject: Re: 1812 Rifle Uniform

              From: lenthecooper <lheidebrecht@...>

              To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 13 9:03 AM
                A very nice view of this beautiful coat. Thank you very much for posting
                this link.

                Phil Graf

                _____

                Message 7 of 13 , May 5, 2010
                  Hi. I am starting a range of 1812 28mm wargame figures, and the first unit I have decided on is, a rifle regiment in the fringed hunting coat. What I need to know is what the officer would be wearing also the drummer, I have assumed the standard bearer would be wearing the same as the troops.Look forward to hearing from you.
                • Mark Dickerson
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 5, 2010
                    Are you looking at doing British or US? Forsyth's Rifles? Dolsen's Rifles?
                    There are many to choose from.

                    Mark D

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 5, 2010
                      Mark

                      The post was, " I have decided on is, a rifle regiment in the fringed hunting coat."

                      therefore he has decided on US Rifles, Perhaps he should contact someone who portrays a USA Rifleman by visiting http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                      Dolsen's Rifles were a Crown Unit and my research so far is they had no uniforms.

                      Yrs.
                      L2

                      --- "Mark Dickerson" wrote:

                      Are you looking at doing British or US? Forsyth's Rifles? Dolsen's Rifles? There are many to choose from.

                      On Behalf Of Kieven

                    • Grenzer7@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 6, 2010
                        What I need to know is what the officer would be wearing also the drummer,
                        I have assumed the standard bearer would be wearing the same as the troops.

                        So far as I know, officers may be in the regulation uniform (green or gray)
                        while the bugler (no drummer) could be in either regulation uniform or the
                        hunting frock, but more likely the regulation uniform. The U.S. Rifles
                        wouldn't carry colours in the field, so no need of the standard bearer...
                        unless you're on parade.

                        John Goldsworthy
                        St. Thomas, ON

                        "Anyone can grow up; It takes a real man to be a boy all his life."

                      • Kieven
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 6, 2010
                          That is much appreciated, I had thought about the drummer after I had posted the question, but the standard bearer I did not know.With the bugler would it be the circular type horn ie as in the AWI or the more modern type. Thankyou everyone for your help.

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 8, 2010
                            Regarding the bugle, I'm unsure. The only information I've run across is
                            that the bugle was the more circular hunting horn rather than the more
                            elongated modern bugle. But like I said, I'm unsure.

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 9, 2010
                              Thanks for that, I have been pointed towards a picture by someone and it cleary shows a rifleman with a French horn, so that is another part of the puzzle solved