Re: 1812 Sad news from camp

  • roy winders
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 12, 2010
      Sad news indeed, R.I.P. Debbie.

      --- On Thu, 3/11/10, Spencer's Mercantile <susan@...> wrote:

      From: Spencer's Mercantile <susan@...>
      Subject: 1812 Sad news from camp
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

      Many of you will remember Debbie Shepherd, who spent many years re-enacting with us, portraying a voyageur/native. Unbeknown to most of us, she was also fighting valiant battle with cancer over many of the last years. Sadly, she succumbed to the disease on Tuesday. She had spent the afternoon in the spring sunshine, visiting her sister.

      We will miss her cheery presence and wonderful hospitality in camp, and in life. Her last event was Longwoods last year -- one of her favourite events. I'm ever so grateful that we had a chance to visit a bit then.

      Funeral arrangements will be through:
      Eric F. Nicholls Funeral Home

      639 Elgin St
      Wallaceburg, Ontario
      Canada N8A 3C6

      http://www.ericfnic hollsfuneralhome .com/index. cfm

      Visitation is supposed to be Sunday 2-4 pm and 7-9 pm and funeral on Monday -- no details are posted as of yet, but I understand that they will be shortly.

      In sadness,

      -- Sioux

    • spencersmerc
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 29 12:02 AM

        It is with profound sadness that I must report the passing of potter Doug Loveland, known to many of you as the proprietor of the shop Crude Local Pottery. He left us yesterday evening at 9:45 after a long and hard fought battle with cancer.

        I will post details of any arrangements once they are available.

        In sorrow,

        -- Sioux

      • spencersmerc

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 29, 2015

            Hello, everyone --

            I'm very sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings today.  John Skakel of Fair Tyme Toys has passed away. As many of you know, he fought a courageous and difficult battle with cancer for the past several years -- how heartbreaking that it finally did overcome him.

            Lisa Gilbert let me know this morning and asked me to pass the news on to all of you. Please do help spread the word.  Below are the details from Lisa's letter.

            Wherever John is, I'm willing to bet that he's got a shop apron on and is tooling up to make something for a young spirit in need.

            In sadness,
            -- Susan

            Jim and I wanted you to know about John Skakel.  As I believe you knew, John had pancreatic cancer, and it appeared that maybe he was winning.  In the summer he had received a good report from his doctor, and he was once again gaining weight, and was beginning to look towards the future.  Unfortunately, in September he found out that the cancer had come back, and had spread to his liver and his lymph-nodes.  He was informed a few weeks ago that there was nothing they could do for him, and he died last night at 1:00.

            John's express wishes were that he didn't want a funeral, so there won't be any visitation, etc.  There will be celebration of John's life at some point in the future.  As it is so early, John's sister hasn't yet made any of those arrangements, but when we find out, we will pass that on to you.

            John's death sentence was, I'm sure, very hard for him to take, but he used the few days he had before he became incapacitated to establish his legacy.  Perhaps you don't know, but John donated one of his farms to establish a natural area, and our local conservation authority had been working with him to build a pond, with 20,000 trees planted in the spring as well.   John also set Jim's mind at ease as to how Faire Tyme Toys was going to continue without him.  Jim is over at John's farm right now meeting with an old friend of John's who could perhaps continue to make toys at the shop there.  It will never be the same without our toymaker, but the company will go on in some kind of revised fashion.

            If you could pass on the sad news to your contacts, we would very much appreciate it.

            Thanks for your help and support,

            Lisa G.

          • Kathryn41
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 29, 2015

              Thank you Susan,

              I knew John had cancer and wasn’t doing well but still his passing comes as a shock and a surprise.  I have forwarded the message on to those I know in the re-enactment community and Chatham-Kent who would have known him.

              Love

              Kathryn

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 30, 2015
                The following information on John's remembrance has just come from Sheila Gibbs:

                His sister has just informed us that a celebration of John's life starting at 3:00 PM ,Saturday , November 21, 2015 at the Ridgetown Legion , comments and visual presentation at 4:00 followed by Jack's favourite Pizza Hut Pizza , chocolate milk and his other culinary delights. Updated details can be accessed at
                McKinlay Funeral Home - Serving the Families of Chatham-Kent