Re: [Bulk] 1812 Events on dates

  • DAVID BRUNELLE
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2010
      If I can make it I will be there!

      Dave

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Mark Dickerson
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, March 08, 2010 9:59 AM
      Subject: [Bulk] 1812 Events on dates

      I know the weather can be doubtful and cold in Nov, and public attendance
      will be a lot better in July from a tourism point of view, but other than
      those 2 glaring and obvious reasons, why not hold a larger battle event for
      Crysler's Farm in Nov rather than July.

      I know I personally would be much more comfortable in July at Crysler's
      Farm, but there is something to be said for holding it on the actual date as
      well.

      The UTMRS is looking at hosting the Battle of the Longwoods in March of
      2014. From other re-enactors point of view, is this a 'non event' for you
      because of the date? It is going to happen, but what are others views of
      cold weather events?

      Mark Dickerson

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2010
        I think with it being the bicentennial of the events we should try to hold it as close to the original date as possible in its year.  November in Eastern Ontario is similar to November in Southern Ontario, just with a bit more rain and chillier.   Though really nothing can compare to the rain at Cryslers in 09.

        As to Longwoods in March, the 21st US will be there.  The only question I would have would be would it be held on the original site?

        Paul
        21st US Treat's Company

      • Mark Dickerson
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2010
          Yes, currently Longwoods 2014 will be held on the original site, unless
          plans drastically change.

          Mark

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 10, 2010
            Having frozen my toes off, among other body parts, at Remembrance Day services here in Ottawa, I beg to differ on the similarities between eastern and southern Ontario.
            And while we may find the "breeze" blowing down the river in July refreshing, it would make for bloody cold bivouacs in November - especially if it's raining. Unless we become the motel brigade like we do in Ogdensburg for February! lol

            Sue Too

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Paul Watson <doc41st@...> wrote:

            > I think with it being the bicentennial of the events we should try to hold it as close to the original date as possible in its year.  November in Eastern Ontario is similar to November in Southern Ontario, just with a bit more rain and chillier.   Though really nothing can compare to the rain at Cryslers in 09.
            >
            > As to Longwoods in March, the 21st US will be there.  The only question I would have would be would it be held on the original site?
            >
            > Paul
            > 21st US Treat's Company

          • Victor Suthren
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 10, 2010
              The Battle of Chateauguay was fought on October 26th, 1813. The last two visits on the battle date that I made to the site at Allan's Corners, Quebec, the temperature was 5 degrees C. in a cold driving rain one time and snowing hard the other. You'll maybe get ten men and a dog out for an event on the actual date, but if you want a full-scale tactical, better think about a warmer month....

              Vic Suthren

              Having frozen my toes off, among other body parts, at Remembrance Day services here in Ottawa, I beg to differ on the similarities between eastern and southern Ontario.
              And while we may find the "breeze" blowing down the river in July refreshing, it would make for bloody cold bivouacs in November - especially if it's raining. Unless we become the motel brigade like we do in Ogdensburg for February! lol

              Sue Too

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, Paul Watson <doc41st@...> wrote:

              > I think with it being the bicentennial of the events we should try to hold it as close to the original date as possible in its year. November in Eastern Ontario is similar to November in Southern Ontario, just with a bit more rain and chillier. Though really nothing can compare to the rain at Cryslers in 09.
              >
              > As to Longwoods in March, the 21st US will be there. The only question I would have would be would it be held on the original site?
              >
              > Paul
              > 21st US Treat's Company

            • Tom Hurlbut
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 10, 2010
                This discussion has had some interesting turns.

                If re-enacting is about bringing the past to life for many, then a public
                element is essential (also helps with the bottom line).

                If it's about experiencing the past for the participant, then by all means,
                look to duplicate circumstances as best possible. What do we as individuals
                want to do?

                I find that I like a mix, some "living history experiences", some public
                events. For the public, I kind of expect some support (maybe a meal, a
                powder/boat bounty, certainly a decent place to camp, and please, no snow!).

                For those that are self-focussed, I am willing to pay more for it and put up
                with the poor weather, bugs, etc. just to have the experience. And maybe
                Crysler's or Chateauguay might be where I'll do it.

                Many of us are at a stage in life where we are past the "hard core"
                re-enacting. Fair enough, but these "softer" folks still add numbers and
                that too is a great contributing factor in events. (Civil War events have
                thousands, even tens of thousands! What a spectacle that must be! But is it
                always fun?)

                I think we need to focus on just what we're going to do and why, event by
                event. Chateauguay, Crysler's Farm, the Thames, River Raisin, Ogdensburg,
                the list goes on. We have weather issues enough in this continent without
                deliberately seeking out dates that will not be good for big public
                displays, particularly if we want public support.

                Now if we want to do something more self-oriented, fine and good. I'm
                certain I'll do a few myself.

                And where convenient (like Fort Erie) let's hit the weekend close to the
                date.

                Which brings up the business of scheduling conflicts.. Now that's a
                discussion we should be having.

                Long Live the Republic!

                "Major" Tom

              • Kevin Windsor
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 10, 2010
                  Tom I couldn't agree more! I love a mix of both, sometimes even at the same event!! I remember a while ago Vic did a seminar at a Living History Conference about being "in the moment" and that if you want to great! If you don't want to...great! but keep in mind of what you are doing so you don't ruin someone else's "moment". That has always stuck with me.

                  In my WWI unit it is all about ourselves and we pay for the privilege. Not just for gas, food, blanks, etc...but we pay a yearly fee to our umbrella group, and we pay a fee to go to each event, and we have to pay to up keep our trench....

                  (all of that being said though we still bring tent heaters for the 5 or 6 hours we are actually in our tents!! We aren't THAT crazy!!)

                  Kevin

                  To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 10, 2010
                    Hi Kevin

                    I know that a couple of my boys were interested in that "only take what you
                    can carry" experience at Fanshawe last fall, while the rest of us sat under
                    the awnings and in the marquee while it rained.. (I note that they joined us
                    when it was pouring, like Tim says, soldiers looking to make it as
                    comfortable as possible ;-)

                    This is not an argument but rather a statement of preferences. Some day,
                    sooner than I'd like, I'll be all for doing events only in comfortable
                    weather and that in a spacious marquee tent (with servants!), but I think I
                    can still do the odd "hard core" event. We just need to remember that the
                    public won't want to come see us freezing because they'll have to freeze to
                    do it.

                    And we won't get any big numbers (or much money) to do it either.

                    I think this might be a good forum for resolving conflicting dates.

                    So how do we resolve Wasaga Vs Fort Erie for example?

                    Long Live the Republic!

                    "Major" Tom

                    _____

                    Tom I couldn't agree more! I love a mix of both, sometimes even at the same
                    event!! I remember a while ago Vic did a seminar at a Living History
                    Conference about being "in the moment" and that if you want to great! If you
                    don't want to...great! but keep in mind of what you are doing so you don't
                    ruin someone else's "moment". That has always stuck with me.

                    In my WWI unit it is all about ourselves and we pay for the privilege. Not
                    just for gas, food, blanks, etc...but we pay a yearly fee to our umbrella
                    group, and we pay a fee to go to each event, and we have to pay to up keep
                    our trench....

                    (all of that being said though we still bring tent heaters for the 5 or 6
                    hours we are actually in our tents!! We aren't THAT crazy!!)

                    Kevin

                    .

                    <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=38751/grpspId=1705767503/msgId=4
                    1892/stime=1268252155/nc1=3848621/nc2=4025321/nc3=5733769>

                  • roy winders
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 11, 2010
                      I'll try to be there but I'm not sure about my little dog