89th uniform/ was digital

  • Mark Dickerson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2010
      On the same website as the crossbelt plate, there is a picture of an 89th
      uniform. Looks like a flank company coat from the pockets.

      http://www.ourontario.ca/1812/details.asp?r=wn
      <http://www.ourontario.ca/1812/details.asp?r=wn&ID=72695&number=24>
      &ID=72695&number=24

      On the back, the lace in the middle of the back is not in the shape of a
      triangle. Is this something unique to the 89th?

      Mark Dickerson

    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2010
        Hi Mark, the uniform was worn by either Lt Latham or Capt Spunner of the
        89th (the only 2 officers KIA). Neither was in the flank companies at the
        battle of Lundy's Lane (where it was dug up from) and both were apparently
        killed while carrying the Colours. I have the pocket flap of the other coat
        too! It is horizontal...

        As for the lace placement. I don't think it is a peculiarity of the 89th
        only. The other 89th coat I have seen is unlaced so I can't say yes or no
        with any certainty but I have seen the lace placed like that on a 49th Reg't
        Coat (in PEI) and Commissary Coat (also in the NFH Museum collection)

        My old 89th coat had that too, but it got covered by my sash...

        Let me know if you ever want to see them close up....

        KW

        On the same website as the crossbelt plate, there is a picture of an 89th
        uniform. Looks like a flank company coat from the pockets.
      • lenthecooper
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2010
          The Kings Regiment also used the horizontal lace at the back vent as per the Jarvis coat at the Cdn War Museum.

          Kevin, are there any pics of Kings Regt artifacts?

          Cheers,
          Len