Re: 1812 goes digital-article

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
      Particularly in this case as the plate can usualy be read from the back even though the front is polished flat. Incidentaly this 'old swat' distinction of having a badge with all the detail polished off it was still a distinction in WW2

      Aye

      From: shayna121 <PrivateCannon@...>
      To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, March 1, 2010, 6:00 PM

      Very interesting stuff. I'm wondering how they know that this Cross Belt Plate is from the Grenadier Company of the '1st British or Royal Scots 1st Regiment' though.

      http://www.ourontar io.ca/1812/ details.asp? r=vs&ID=72510& number=32

      Chris McKay

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com, "westhouse03" <westhouse@. ..> wrote:

      > 1812 goes digital. An article from Niagara this Week. This information had already been posted but I thought I'd pass this new one along all the same.
      >
      > Dave Westhouse.
      >

      > The web site — www.1812history. com — is a collaboration between Niagara area museums that launched last Thursday. It offers visitors the chance to see more than 700 items, which includes Major General Sir Isaac Brock's hat, a copy of the Gentleman's Magazine and Historical Chronicle from May 1814, and period clothing.

    • royalscotstailor
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
          In a message dated 3/2/2010 11:14:41 AM Central Standard Time,
          kevingarrett@... writes:

          > Forgive me for asking Tim, but did you mean "old sweat"?
          >
          > Kevin

          That is exactly what I meant Kevin, didn't notice the flub. My uncle, who
          was in the RADC and had the great pleasure of flying into Normandy in a
          glider, had a completely flat cap badge and told me that he did that on the
          polishing wheel and had a good little sideline going polishing badges flat so
          that the owners could give the impression of being old hands.

          Aye

        • HAROLD DENNISON
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
            It "could" be!   :)

            Hal Dennison
            www.JustDreamLife.com

            Well Chris I am not sure how it was labeled "Grenadier Coy" but rest assured
            it will be fixed.

            Kevin Windsor, Curator

            Niagara Falls History Museum

            _____