RE: 1812 goes digital-article

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2 5:13 AM
      LMAO!! I just got the irony to the whole thing! I wonder if that would be
      a great way to fundraise? I could leave it in. . . or I could take it out.
      . . hmmmm, a large cheque could decide!!!

      Seriously though, if you find any mistakes in the database please send an
      email to the institute that owns the artifact. In the case of the Niagara
      Falls History Museum (formerly the Lundy's Lane Historical Museum) send it
      to llmuseum @ niagarafalls.ca

      ~Craig, I will add your correction to the list~

      Kevin Windsor

      _____

      From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of westhouse03

      Darn it all Kevin! Now you took all the fun out of it. ;)

      Dave.

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2 5:44 AM
        Particularly in this case as the plate can usualy be read from the back even though the front is polished flat. Incidentaly this 'old swat' distinction of having a badge with all the detail polished off it was still a distinction in WW2

        Aye

        From: shayna121 <PrivateCannon@...>
        To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Monday, March 1, 2010, 6:00 PM

        Very interesting stuff. I'm wondering how they know that this Cross Belt Plate is from the Grenadier Company of the '1st British or Royal Scots 1st Regiment' though.

        http://www.ourontar io.ca/1812/ details.asp? r=vs&ID=72510& number=32

        Chris McKay

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com, "westhouse03" <westhouse@. ..> wrote:

        > 1812 goes digital. An article from Niagara this Week. This information had already been posted but I thought I'd pass this new one along all the same.
        >
        > Dave Westhouse.
        >

        > The web site — www.1812history. com — is a collaboration between Niagara area museums that launched last Thursday. It offers visitors the chance to see more than 700 items, which includes Major General Sir Isaac Brock's hat, a copy of the Gentleman's Magazine and Historical Chronicle from May 1814, and period clothing.

      • royalscotstailor
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2 9:11 AM

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2 9:27 AM
            In a message dated 3/2/2010 11:14:41 AM Central Standard Time,
            kevingarrett@... writes:

            > Forgive me for asking Tim, but did you mean "old sweat"?
            >
            > Kevin

            That is exactly what I meant Kevin, didn't notice the flub. My uncle, who
            was in the RADC and had the great pleasure of flying into Normandy in a
            glider, had a completely flat cap badge and told me that he did that on the
            polishing wheel and had a good little sideline going polishing badges flat so
            that the owners could give the impression of being old hands.

            Aye

          • HAROLD DENNISON
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2 10:13 AM
              It "could" be!   :)

              Hal Dennison
              www.JustDreamLife.com

              Well Chris I am not sure how it was labeled "Grenadier Coy" but rest assured
              it will be fixed.

              Kevin Windsor, Curator