Re: 1812 goes digital-article

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
      While you're at it, I would think it is made of brass.

      Craig

      On 1-Mar-10, at 10:42 PM, Kevin Windsor wrote:

      > Well Chris I am not sure how it was labeled "Grenadier Coy" but
      > rest assured
      > it will be fixed.
      >
      > Kevin Windsor, Curator
      >
      > Niagara Falls History Museum
      >
      > _____
      >
      > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
      > On Behalf
      > Of gary beauregard
      >

      > Very interesting stuff. I'm wondering how they know that this Cross
      > Belt
      > Plate is from the Grenadier Company of the '1st British or Royal
      > Scots 1st
      > Regiment' though.
      >
      > http://www.ourontar io.ca/1812/ details.asp? r=vs&ID=72510& number=32
      >
      > Chris McKay

    • westhouse03
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
        Darn it all Kevin! Now you took all the fun out of it. ;)

        Dave.

        ____

        Very interesting stuff. I'm wondering how they know that this Cross Belt
        Plate is from the Grenadier Company of the '1st British or Royal Scots 1st Regiment' though.

        Chris
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
          LMAO!! I just got the irony to the whole thing! I wonder if that would be
          a great way to fundraise? I could leave it in. . . or I could take it out.
          . . hmmmm, a large cheque could decide!!!

          Seriously though, if you find any mistakes in the database please send an
          email to the institute that owns the artifact. In the case of the Niagara
          Falls History Museum (formerly the Lundy's Lane Historical Museum) send it
          to llmuseum @ niagarafalls.ca

          ~Craig, I will add your correction to the list~

          Kevin Windsor

          _____

          From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
          Of westhouse03

        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
            Particularly in this case as the plate can usualy be read from the back even though the front is polished flat. Incidentaly this 'old swat' distinction of having a badge with all the detail polished off it was still a distinction in WW2

            Aye

            From: shayna121 <PrivateCannon@...>
            To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Monday, March 1, 2010, 6:00 PM

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com, "westhouse03" <westhouse@. ..> wrote:

            > 1812 goes digital. An article from Niagara this Week. This information had already been posted but I thought I'd pass this new one along all the same.
            >
            > Dave Westhouse.
            >

            > The web site — www.1812history. com — is a collaboration between Niagara area museums that launched last Thursday. It offers visitors the chance to see more than 700 items, which includes Major General Sir Isaac Brock's hat, a copy of the Gentleman's Magazine and Historical Chronicle from May 1814, and period clothing.

          • royalscotstailor
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010

            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
                In a message dated 3/2/2010 11:14:41 AM Central Standard Time,
                kevingarrett@... writes:

                > Forgive me for asking Tim, but did you mean "old sweat"?
                >
                > Kevin

                That is exactly what I meant Kevin, didn't notice the flub. My uncle, who
                was in the RADC and had the great pleasure of flying into Normandy in a
                glider, had a completely flat cap badge and told me that he did that on the
                polishing wheel and had a good little sideline going polishing badges flat so
                that the owners could give the impression of being old hands.

                Aye

              • HAROLD DENNISON
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
                  It "could" be!   :)