Re: 1812 goes digital-article

  • gary beauregard
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
      It would have been nice to see the back as well. Nobody ever thinks to do that.

      Bear

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
        Well Chris I am not sure how it was labeled "Grenadier Coy" but rest assured
        it will be fixed.

        Kevin Windsor, Curator

        Niagara Falls History Museum

        _____

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
          While you're at it, I would think it is made of brass.

          Craig

          On 1-Mar-10, at 10:42 PM, Kevin Windsor wrote:

          > Well Chris I am not sure how it was labeled "Grenadier Coy" but
          > rest assured
          > it will be fixed.
          >
          > Kevin Windsor, Curator
          >
          > Niagara Falls History Museum
          >
          > _____
          >
          > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
          > On Behalf
          > Of gary beauregard
          >

          > Very interesting stuff. I'm wondering how they know that this Cross
          > Belt
          > Plate is from the Grenadier Company of the '1st British or Royal
          > Scots 1st
          > Regiment' though.
          >
          > http://www.ourontar io.ca/1812/ details.asp? r=vs&ID=72510& number=32
          >
          > Chris McKay

        • westhouse03
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
            Darn it all Kevin! Now you took all the fun out of it. ;)

            Dave.

            ____

            Very interesting stuff. I'm wondering how they know that this Cross Belt
            Plate is from the Grenadier Company of the '1st British or Royal Scots 1st Regiment' though.

            Chris
          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
              LMAO!! I just got the irony to the whole thing! I wonder if that would be
              a great way to fundraise? I could leave it in. . . or I could take it out.
              . . hmmmm, a large cheque could decide!!!

              Seriously though, if you find any mistakes in the database please send an
              email to the institute that owns the artifact. In the case of the Niagara
              Falls History Museum (formerly the Lundy's Lane Historical Museum) send it
              to llmuseum @ niagarafalls.ca

              ~Craig, I will add your correction to the list~

              Kevin Windsor

              _____

              From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
              Of westhouse03

            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
                Particularly in this case as the plate can usualy be read from the back even though the front is polished flat. Incidentaly this 'old swat' distinction of having a badge with all the detail polished off it was still a distinction in WW2

                Aye

                It would have been nice to see the back as well. Nobody ever thinks to do that.

                Bear

                Very interesting stuff. I'm wondering how they know that this Cross Belt Plate is from the Grenadier Company of the '1st British or Royal Scots 1st Regiment' though.

                http://www.ourontar io.ca/1812/ details.asp? r=vs&ID=72510& number=32

                Chris McKay

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com, "westhouse03" <westhouse@. ..> wrote:

                > 1812 goes digital. An article from Niagara this Week. This information had already been posted but I thought I'd pass this new one along all the same.
                >
                > Dave Westhouse.
                >

                > The web site — www.1812history. com — is a collaboration between Niagara area museums that launched last Thursday. It offers visitors the chance to see more than 700 items, which includes Major General Sir Isaac Brock's hat, a copy of the Gentleman's Magazine and Historical Chronicle from May 1814, and period clothing.

              • royalscotstailor
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010

                • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
                    In a message dated 3/2/2010 11:14:41 AM Central Standard Time,
                    kevingarrett@... writes:

                    > Forgive me for asking Tim, but did you mean "old sweat"?
                    >
                    > Kevin

                    That is exactly what I meant Kevin, didn't notice the flub. My uncle, who
                    was in the RADC and had the great pleasure of flying into Normandy in a
                    glider, had a completely flat cap badge and told me that he did that on the
                    polishing wheel and had a good little sideline going polishing badges flat so
                    that the owners could give the impression of being old hands.

                    Aye

                  • HAROLD DENNISON
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
                      It "could" be!   :)