1812 goes digital-article

  • westhouse03
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
      1812 goes digital. An article from Niagara this Week. This information had already been posted but I thought I'd pass this new one along all the same.

      Dave Westhouse.

      http://www.niagarathisweek.com/news/article/624516--war-of-1812-goes-digital

      War of 1812 goes digital.

      John Maloney of Port Colborne checks out the newly launched 1812 website at the Niagara Historical Society and Museum last Thursday. The site features artifacts and documents from museums across Niagara. Melinda Cheevers/staff photo

      History buffs, students and anyone with a general interest can now take to the web to view genuine artifacts and historic documents from the War of 1812.

      The web site — www.1812history.com — is a collaboration between Niagara area museums that launched last Thursday. It offers visitors the chance to see more than 700 items, which includes Major General Sir Isaac Brock's hat, a copy of the Gentleman's Magazine and Historical Chronicle from May 1814, and period clothing.

      Each item was painstakingly photographed by digitization assistant Sarah Maloney, with help from Michelle Nicholls. The two would lay out each item and take photographs from every angle of the item, resulting in more than 22,000 digital images that had to be processed and put online.

      The web site allows visitors to search and browse these items. A brief explanation is provided for each item and the "zoomify" feature enables viewers to see each item from an extremely close perspective.

      At the web site launch, Clark Bernat, managing director of the Niagara Historical Society and Museum, told the crowd that people often accuse museums of hoarding historical items and locking them away in vaults.

      "This shows what we're hoarding," he said. "This shows what we have; it's our history."

      The launch, held at the Niagara Historical Society and Museum in Niagara-on-the-Lake, brought together several members from the area's historical circles as well as the community at large.

      Bernat said that while the museums had been talking about getting their collections online for a while, no one was prepared to take on the massive undertaking until Brock University stepped in.

      David Sharron, head of special collections and archives at Brock's James A. Gibson Library, was the man behind the plan. Spearheading the project, his library teamed up with the Niagara Historical Society and Museum, the Jordan Historical Museum, RiverBrink Art Museum, Grimsby Museum, Port Colborne Historical and Marine Museum and Heritage Village, and Our Ontario whose server hosts the images. The libraries worked collectively to put together a comprehensive offering of online materials.

      "This shows how important the War of 1812 is to the Niagara area," said Sharron. "We all knew that museums would have material and figured the best way to do it is to digitize it and get it online."

      The group also reached out to the District School Board of Niagara to tap into the educational potential. Sarah Brydges was hired as an educational consultant and she was given the daunting task of developing lesson plans based around the materials that were to be uploaded to the web.

      "I set up the lesson plans as a challenge for the students and worked in the artifacts," she said. "I tried to look at what was collected from a fresh perspective."

      The lesson plans are available on the web site.

      While more than 700 items are available to view on the web site, Sharron said another 300 items should be added by the end of March.

      The program's overall cost, $100,000, was offset by a $55,000 grant from the Department of Canadian Heritage that Brock received.
    • shayna121
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
        Very interesting stuff. I'm wondering how they know that this Cross Belt Plate is from the Grenadier Company of the '1st British or Royal Scots 1st Regiment' though.

        http://www.ourontario.ca/1812/details.asp?r=vs&ID=72510&number=32

        Chris McKay

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "westhouse03" <westhouse@...> wrote:

        > 1812 goes digital. An article from Niagara this Week. This information had already been posted but I thought I'd pass this new one along all the same.
        >
        > Dave Westhouse.
        >

        > The web site — www.1812history.com — is a collaboration between Niagara area museums that launched last Thursday. It offers visitors the chance to see more than 700 items, which includes Major General Sir Isaac Brock's hat, a copy of the Gentleman's Magazine and Historical Chronicle from May 1814, and period clothing.

      • gary beauregard
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
          It would have been nice to see the back as well. Nobody ever thinks to do that.

          Bear

          Very interesting stuff. I'm wondering how they know that this Cross Belt Plate is from the Grenadier Company of the '1st British or Royal Scots 1st Regiment' though.

          http://www.ourontar io.ca/1812/ details.asp? r=vs&ID=72510& number=32

          Chris McKay

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com, "westhouse03" <westhouse@. ..> wrote:

          > 1812 goes digital. An article from Niagara this Week. This information had already been posted but I thought I'd pass this new one along all the same.
          >
          > Dave Westhouse.
          >

          > The web site — www.1812history. com — is a collaboration between Niagara area museums that launched last Thursday. It offers visitors the chance to see more than 700 items, which includes Major General Sir Isaac Brock's hat, a copy of the Gentleman's Magazine and Historical Chronicle from May 1814, and period clothing.

        • Kevin Windsor
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
            Well Chris I am not sure how it was labeled "Grenadier Coy" but rest assured
            it will be fixed.

            Kevin Windsor, Curator

            Niagara Falls History Museum

            _____

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
              While you're at it, I would think it is made of brass.

              Craig

              On 1-Mar-10, at 10:42 PM, Kevin Windsor wrote:

              > Well Chris I am not sure how it was labeled "Grenadier Coy" but
              > rest assured
              > it will be fixed.
              >
              > Kevin Windsor, Curator
              >
              > Niagara Falls History Museum
              >
              > _____
              >
              > From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com]
              > On Behalf
              > Of gary beauregard
              >

              > Very interesting stuff. I'm wondering how they know that this Cross
              > Belt
              > Plate is from the Grenadier Company of the '1st British or Royal
              > Scots 1st
              > Regiment' though.
              >
              > http://www.ourontar io.ca/1812/ details.asp? r=vs&ID=72510& number=32
              >
              > Chris McKay

            • westhouse03
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2010
                Darn it all Kevin! Now you took all the fun out of it. ;)

                Dave.

                RE: 1812 goes digital-article

                ____

                Very interesting stuff. I'm wondering how they know that this Cross Belt
                Plate is from the Grenadier Company of the '1st British or Royal Scots 1st Regiment' though.

                Chris
              • Kevin Windsor
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
                  LMAO!! I just got the irony to the whole thing! I wonder if that would be
                  a great way to fundraise? I could leave it in. . . or I could take it out.
                  . . hmmmm, a large cheque could decide!!!

                  Seriously though, if you find any mistakes in the database please send an
                  email to the institute that owns the artifact. In the case of the Niagara
                  Falls History Museum (formerly the Lundy's Lane Historical Museum) send it
                  to llmuseum @ niagarafalls.ca

                  ~Craig, I will add your correction to the list~

                  Kevin Windsor

                  _____

                  From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                  Of westhouse03

                • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
                    Particularly in this case as the plate can usualy be read from the back even though the front is polished flat. Incidentaly this 'old swat' distinction of having a badge with all the detail polished off it was still a distinction in WW2

                    Aye

                    It would have been nice to see the back as well. Nobody ever thinks to do that.

                    Bear

                    Very interesting stuff. I'm wondering how they know that this Cross Belt Plate is from the Grenadier Company of the '1st British or Royal Scots 1st Regiment' though.

                    http://www.ourontar io.ca/1812/ details.asp? r=vs&ID=72510& number=32

                    Chris McKay

                    --- In WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com, "westhouse03" <westhouse@. ..> wrote:

                    > 1812 goes digital. An article from Niagara this Week. This information had already been posted but I thought I'd pass this new one along all the same.
                    >
                    > Dave Westhouse.
                    >

                    > The web site — www.1812history. com — is a collaboration between Niagara area museums that launched last Thursday. It offers visitors the chance to see more than 700 items, which includes Major General Sir Isaac Brock's hat, a copy of the Gentleman's Magazine and Historical Chronicle from May 1814, and period clothing.

                  • royalscotstailor
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010

                    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
                        In a message dated 3/2/2010 11:14:41 AM Central Standard Time,
                        kevingarrett@... writes:

                        > Forgive me for asking Tim, but did you mean "old sweat"?
                        >
                        > Kevin

                        That is exactly what I meant Kevin, didn't notice the flub. My uncle, who
                        was in the RADC and had the great pleasure of flying into Normandy in a
                        glider, had a completely flat cap badge and told me that he did that on the
                        polishing wheel and had a good little sideline going polishing badges flat so
                        that the owners could give the impression of being old hands.

                        Aye

                      • HAROLD DENNISON
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 2, 2010
                          It "could" be!   :)