Next 41st Lecture - Robert Henderson

  • tom4141fournier
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2010
      Good morning list!

      After 5 years, we thought we would try something a little different. We have considered extensive feedback indicating the difficulties that a Friday night can present for an event - between it being one of the heavier days for traffic and the fact that it leads into many weekend commitments we thought it was time to try a weeknight.

      We hope this can enhance our event and open up access to more people rather than presenting an obstacle to our loyal patrons.

      For this upcoming lecture, it will be on a Wednesday night, April 7th, 2010.

      The 41st Regiment of Foot Military Living History Group is pleased to present the eleventh installment in the popular 41st Regiment Lecture Series featuring Robert Henderson, Military Historian and War of 1812 Writer.

      A former military curator for Parks Canada, and archival technician at the then National Archives of Canada, Robert Henderson has spent twenty-five years working in the military heritage field. After graduating from Carleton University, he filled a number of interpretative and educative roles at various historic sites including Fort Wellington and Fort Malden. He now resides in Ottawa, Ontario with his wife and son.

      Mr. Henderson has provided heritage products and services to museums, collectors, and the film industry since 1995 through MilitaryHeritage.com. His interest in preserving and promoting the significance of the War of 1812 brought him to create the website Warof1812.ca. He has published a number of 1812 articles covering topics ranging from soldier's life and regimental histories to military uniforms and other aspects of material culture.

      For this installment of the Lecture Series, Mr. Henderson will cover the topics of troublesome Army wives, prostitution, recruiting trickery, con-artists working the army system, and scams to get out of the army, along with how military officials attempted to handle these situations. The goal of this presentation will be to underline the very human and flawed nature of both the system and those participating in it. Mr. Henderson will highlight the blurred lines between the military and civil law. Lastly, he will challenge the Victorian morality stereotype that is often and inaccurately attached to regency society.

      The lecture is to be held in the Iron Duke House at the Wellington Brewery in Guelph, Ontario located at 950 Woodlawn Road West on Wednesday, April 7th, 2010. Register by sending an email to register(at)fortyfirst.org or going to our website at www.fortyfirst.org

      Doors open at 6:30 p.m.
      Lecture commences at 7:30 p.m.
      Speaker will host a Q&A at 8:30
      Social commences at 9:00

      There will be a nominal $10.00 fee to support the evening. Tickets will sell fast! Please take the time to pre-register to save your seat.

      The 41st Regiment is grateful for the support of Wellington Brewery and Mr. Henderson.