Re: Reading Level of the Average Soldier/Sailor

  • jkrause365
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 22, 2010
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Iain Burns" <iain51hdbw@...> wrote:

      > This would be a good story... if it were true.
      >
      > See http://www.snopes.com/glurge/fleming.asp<http://www.snopes.com/glurge/fleming.asp>
      >
      > Aye,
      > Iain
      > 1st RS Reg't (1812)
      > 42nd RH Reg't (Napoleonic)
      Agreed. It's still spam
      JimK
    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 25, 2010
        This is from "How the Scots invented the Modern World" by Arthur Herman,
        page 23.

        "Scotland's literacy rate would be higher than that on any other country by
        the end of the eighteenth century. An English observer noted with
        astonishment that 'in the low country of Scotland.the poorest are, in
        general taught to read.'...By one estimate male literacy stood at around 55
        percent by 1720; by 1750 it may have stood as high as 75%, compared with
        only 53% in England.

        .near Crieff in Perthshire.library's records of book borrowing run from 1747
        to 1800. They show books loaned out to the local baker, the blacksmith, the
        cooper, the dyer and the dyer's apprentice and to farmers, stonemasons,
        quarriers, tailors, and household servants."

        "At Glasgow the tuition fee of 5 pounds a year was one-tenth the cost of
        going to Cambridge or Oxford. . Sons of artisans, shopkeepers and
        farmers.would scrape together enough money to pay their university fees."

        I do not know where the author got his figures from. There is no reference
        for these numbers to check the source. But can an idea of the average
        education mentality be gleaned?

        Do numbers like these mean that the average Scots soldier had an advantage
        over his English and Irish cousins when a chance for promotion came up for
        corporal or sergeant?

        Mark Dickerson

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 25, 2010
          I found the literacy references in the book that I had printed in the last
          email. They are:

          "Literacy and Education in England 1640-1800" by Prof. Lawrence Stone,
          published in "Past and Present": 1969

          "Scottish literacy and Scottish Identity 1600-1800" by R.A. Huston: 1985

          If anybody is interested.

          Mark Dickerson