Re: Union Jack or Red Ensign?

  • ronpontiac
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 10, 2010
      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "petemonahan" <petemonahan@...> wrote:

      > Gentlemen and Ladies
      >
      > I've been assisting a local author with some research and she has just asked me what flag would have flown over Michillimackinac, York and such places in 1812-14

      The red ensign was used by merchant vessels and the Provincial Marine. Variations were used by several fur trade companies including the Northwest Company and HBC. Military posts flew the Union flag.

      I suspect that an Red Ensign would fly over fur traders' warehouses and the union flag from the main flagstaff of the fort.

      Ron