Re: Militia wear for1812

  • talleman1
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 3, 2010
      My Unit www.Firstregiment.com is doing uniformed militia and we have used sources from many states that issued uniforms for the men. Also round jackets are a better alternative than hunting frocks.

      Thomas

      --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Seufert" <rmarine1812@...> wrote:

      > Ron,
      >
      > "Subaltern in America" was originally a series written for Blackwoods Edinburgh Magazine which appeared in 1827 and was later distributed in book form in the 1830's. Though written anonymously, research shows that George Glieg was the actual author as well as the author of "Narrative of the Campaigns of the British Army at Washington..." published on 1821. The oddity of it all is that though both books describe the same campaigns, battles, etc., sometimes they seem to view the same scenes from different points of view. This gives rise that "Subaltern in America" may have been written using the experiences of Glieg's fellow officers mixed with his own. For further clarification please see Christopher George's "Terror on the Chesapeake".
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Ed Seufert, Cpl
      > 1812 Royal Marines

    • Thad Stern
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 5, 2010
        ---The hunting shirt or riflemans frock is probably more correct as a rule for the Militia units from the Western States. We know with out a doubt the descriptions given the men from Kentucky who fought at the Battle of Tippicanoe in 1811, quite savage in appearance wearing hunting shirts, some even leather, wide belts with knives and tomahawks etc. Then again later at the River Raisin descibed the 600 or so militia as wearing riflemans frocks of a variety of colors, well worn slouch hats, long hair and unshaven, leather belts with enormous knifes and tomahawks, RIFLES... and the officers dressed the same except some had shorter rifles and daggers of some value. When Col Johnson went up to the Thames he took one thousand of the best riders of the 3000 man force and rode ahead to engage the Indians and the 41st. They were described as in a motley garb. Some say black riflemans frocks with red trim. The dragoon units wore top hots with cockades but the
        majority of the mounted riflemen wore wide brim hats and carried rifles. They were ordered to dismount when they attacked the Indians. The officers were dressed the same.
        When the 2500 men from Kentucky marched to New Orleans they were in a ragged state. The women of the local areas scrambled to put together blankets and extra clothes. One thousand showed up with out weapons at all. Andrew Jackson was quoted to have said," I have never met a Kentuckian with out a rifle, a deck or cards and a jug of whiskey!"

        There has not been very much first hand descriptions of Kentucky Militia men wearing anything other than riflemans frocks... some perhaps, but not much.

        So if you're fighting in battles that involved some of the 22,000 men from Kentucky who fought in their States Militia from the beginning of the war to the end you would likely be seeing many riflemans frocks of a variety of colors. Not much uniformity.

        The terms of service for the men when they mustered up were about six months or so. The mustering papers told the men to provide their own cloths, gun and powder horns and sometimes even horses. They didn't require much because they weren't going to be gone for long. When they returned they would quite often muster back out again with the next Regiment being called out.

        take care,
        Thad