HMCS Victory

  • Soo
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2010
      Victory firing a rolling broadside. Guess they couldn't find enough trained gun crews.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2WdU3Zkeig
    • Tom Hurlbut
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2010
        In watching this, I'm not sure any of the guns were actually loaded and
        fired as we would do, but that they seem to have charges around/in the
        muzzles detonated remotely.

        Still a lot of sustained noise. Thank goodness there's no flying iron to
        punctuate it!

        Cheers!

        Tom

        _____

        Victory firing a rolling broadside. Guess they couldn't find enough trained
        gun crews.
        http://www.youtube <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2WdU3Zkeig>
        com/watch?v=L2WdU3Zkeig

      • Victor Suthren
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2010
          The amount of powder used was much less than the actual charges of the period, as I'm sure everyone on this list knows. Even given the poorer quality of powder in 1805 compared with today's powder the flash, blast, concussion and smoke from such a broadside would be much more shocking. Accounts tell of how repeated broadsides fired in battles used to 'still the air' and cause winds to diminish---and could be heard enormous distances away. For the crews serving the guns it was literally a deafening experience. Having experienced a 24-pounder at only a fraction of the battle charge---and still been impressed by it---I can only imagine what it was like to touch off a fully charged 24 or 32, and have 50 or 60 similar guns thundering away beside you....

          Vic Suthren
          Victory firing a rolling broadside. Guess they couldn't find enough trained gun crews.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2WdU3Zkeig

        • glifencible
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 7, 2010
            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "Victor Suthren" <suthren@...> wrote:

            > Having experienced a 24-pounder at only a fraction of the battle charge---and still been impressed by it---I can only imagine what it was like to touch off a fully charged 24 or 32, and have 50 or 60 similar guns thundering away beside you....

            Only the coolest thing ever!