River Raisin

  • HAROLD DENNISON
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2010
      Though it's a little slow to get posted, I should like to take this opportunity to thank the organizers, staff and volunteers of the River Raisin Battlefield memorial for an incredible day last Saturday in Monroe, Mich. The event was well attended and went off without a hitch. Lunch, as always, was a meal like no other! We could not have asked for better weather in January which was reflected in the turnout....at least for the American army.

      Once again, I was given the honour of commanding His Majesty's forces for the day and managed to achieve a resounding......failure. A few extra bodies in "red" tunics would help to turn it in our favour for next year.

      There are few 1812 events where the Americans out number the British by a margin of ten to one.

      Units representing His Majesty on the day were; the Grenadier Company of the 1st Regiment, the Light Company of the 1st Regiment, the Battalion Company of the 41st Regiment, the Light Company of the 10th Royal Veterans, the Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada. A fife and drum were also present.

      Special thanks to Dan Woodward and the lads from Fort Meigs and Thad Stern and the Kentucky Militia for switching to the "dark side" to bolster "our" numbers for the day.

      This event is looking to grow and could use some help from "this" side of the river. Though originally just a memorial service, the event has for the last few years included a battle as well. They bring in a guest speaker every year to discuss in detail, events that took place in and around the River Raisin battle. The provided lunch is to die for. Coffee and donuts at the visitor centre when you arrive in the morning.
      To date it has been a one day event but is considering expanding to a full weekend. They are not, at this point, considering moving the date, so any suggestions you may have as to what would entice "you" to attend would be helpful to the organizers and "very" much appreciated.

      Hal Dennison, Captain
      1st(Royal Scots) Rgmt
      "Excellence is a Habit"