Re: Rifles

  • Annette and Lloyd Gower
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2000
      Nona ,do you think they will figure it out? Bob? yeh.
      From: "Len Heidebrecht" <lheidebrecht@...>

      I'm sorry for being so obtuse, but what is going on here? It would appear that someone is upset with someone else. What has happened?
      --
      <snip>
      There are 10 messages in this issue.

      Topics in today's digest:
      <snip>
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 2000
        Don't see what all this fuss from riflemen are about...the US Artillery is
        STILL being placed at the end, when the good Mr. Abolt (and others) clearly
        pointed out the Artillery are placed at the first. And dey gots MUCH bigger
        bores in the Artillery....
        ;-)

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 7, 2000
          Re and "E" From:
          Roger Fuller <fullerfamily@...>

          ..... could they have been leftover British light infantry
          rifles of the 1776 pattern?
        • Robb Jackson
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 8 4:24 AM
            I don't think there WERE any American Rifles until Harper's Ferry was
            built and began producing them after 1800,.,,,

            RJ
            On Thursday, March 7, 2002, at 11:53 PM, WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > ~ there was a hint that the Kent Militia rec'd American
            > Government rifles as used during the Rev war. It
            > was pointed out not Kentucky or Pennsylvania
            > types but US Govt. type ?!?!
          • CRAIG WILLIAMS
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 8 8:53 AM
              Are you trying to start a flamewar or a long and painful disertation on
              rifle manufacturing in the United States prior and post Revolution?

              Craig
            • Raymond Hobbs
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 10 5:06 AM
                Undoubtedly. Aeneas Shaw's order of 25 May, 1812 (NAC RG9 1B3, vol. 2,
                pp. 1-3) acknowledges this, and asks that all private arms be
                registered. It is not clear from this order, however, whether these
                were to be used by the Militia on active duty. It is possible, but, not
                certain.
                Ray Hobbs
                41st Regt. of Foot

                jbwhittaker wrote:

                > I seem to remember reading either Catherine Parr Traill or Susanna
                > Moodie and a reference was made to rifles that UEL's had brought with
                > them to Canada. Would it then be concievable that perhaps some
                > militia volunteers would have had rifles of their own to use? Thanks.
                > Bruce Whittaker

                > THOUSANDS of square miles...

              • jbwhittaker