1812 Bicentennial coin

  • glifencible
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2010
      A couple years ago I asked the Royal Canadian Mint about a coin for 2012. Now might be a good time for us to start sending letters. The organizing committees may have some extra pull.

      Dear Mr. Longo:

      I would like to acknowledge your email of May 24, 2006, inquiring about
      the production of a coin to commemorate the bicentennial of the War of
      1812.

      For your information, the Mint initially reviews all potential
      commemorative themes and drawings, conducts public research on
      appropriate designs and finally, submits these ideas to the federal
      government who is responsible for the final decision. Products and
      themes for upcoming years are decided upon approximately one to two
      years in advance of their public release.

      The Royal Canadian Mint receives hundreds of theme ideas every year from
      citizens and organizations from all over the country. We test as many
      of these themes as possible through market research, however, only a few
      each year can be selected. While 2012 is still a few years away, we
      definitely welcome your suggestion. I want you to know that your request
      is being given the utmost consideration for future testing.

      I hope you have found this information helpful. Thank you for your
      interest in the Royal Canadian Mint.

      Sincerely,

      Jennifer Hood
    • Kathryn.Schwenger41@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2010
        You might also want to ask Canada Post to consider issuing a commemorative
        stamp for the War of 1812 Bicentennial as well. The same lead in time is
        required.

        Kathryn