Re: 1812 Re: Hello Everyone!

  • Dave Robinson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
      Is this game available anywhere?
      Can someone point me to it?

      Dave Robinson
      canoe@...

      On 3-Jan-10, at 9:30 AM, petemonahan wrote:

      > Jonathon
      >
      > Welcome to the list! Ignoring the posts about how close Toronto
      > (Ontario, Canada) is to being the center of the universe and which
      > brand of almond sherry is best, the list members often posts items
      > of use and interest to historians and reenactors.
      >
      > BTW, a number of us who are educators as well as reenactors were
      > quite pleased to hear of your 1812 Game. I believe Mt Windsor, from
      > the Lundy's Lane Mueum irst allerted us to it a month or two ago.
      > I've even checked it out. Quite interesting!
      >
      > Again, welcome to 1812!
      >
      > Peter Monahan
      >

      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > War of 1812 Living History:
      > A wide-ranging information exchange
      > for all participants and supporters

      > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
      > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
      > American Forces Unit Listing
      > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
      >
      > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:

    • ekwardle
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
        Hello Mr. Milner,

        If you are interested in becoming a Re-enactor, might I suggest checking out http://7thbattalion60th.wordpress.com/join-us/

        Regards,

        Lieut.(Ret'd) Ewan K. Wardle
        Fort York Guard

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "milner_jon" <milner_jon@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > My name is Jonathan Milner. I am a recent graduate of Brock University's History program. During my time at Brock I decided to work for Parks Canada at Fort George as a Grenadier in '06. I loved my time working at the Fort but since I graduated I cannot be a squaddy anymore. Thus I am interested in becoming a Re-enactor.
        >
        > The experience at the Fort allowed me a unique point of view when writing essays particularly about the importance of gunpowder and drill in large professional armies. This experience was then used to gain a volunteer position with Brock with Dr. Kee working on a game based on the War of 1812.
        >
        > Cheers Everyone,
        > Jonathan Milner

      • a10rca
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
          Well done Ewan.
          Recruiting! I believe the Lieutenant to be an honourable officer and what a fine set of green clothes for a new man in the ranks. (a percentage for myself will be arranged at the mark of the Angel in Niagara)
          I think there are a lot of smart young people, some like Mr Milner are already trained, who want to get into the hobby. The obvious barriers are cost, see employment, and young women giggling at you.
          A smart lad can turn the last one around, it's called - an opportunity. The price of kit has gone up but there is plenty of kit languishing out there. I am guilty of this. Bought kit years ago, have great intentions to wear it again. A lack of time and no lack of waist size have become the controlling factors.
          Sell the kit, give it away, show young folks how to make their own.
          There are plenty of people who want to get into this before 2012. How manydays Kevin? The folks who are asking now understand it can take time to sort out kit, learn the drills and gell with a group.

          It's the folks who show up June 19th, 2012 who could be problematic.

          Welcome Mr. Milner

          Jim Hill

          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ekwardle" <ekwardle@...> wrote:

          > Hello Mr. Milner,
          >
          > If you are interested in becoming a Re-enactor, might I suggest checking out http://7thbattalion60th.wordpress.com/join-us/
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Lieut.(Ret'd) Ewan K. Wardle
          > Fort York Guard
          >
          > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "milner_jon" <milner_jon@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Greetings,
          > >
          > > My name is Jonathan Milner. I am a recent graduate of Brock University's History program. During my time at Brock I decided to work for Parks Canada at Fort George as a Grenadier in '06. I loved my time working at the Fort but since I graduated I cannot be a squaddy anymore. Thus I am interested in becoming a Re-enactor.
          > >
          > > The experience at the Fort allowed me a unique point of view when writing essays particularly about the importance of gunpowder and drill in large professional armies. This experience was then used to gain a volunteer position with Brock with Dr. Kee working on a game based on the War of 1812.
          > >
          > > Cheers Everyone,
          > > Jonathan Milner

        • Victor Suthren
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
            It really is heartening to see the building interest in the Bicentennial that is leading to new recruits---and particularly to see young blood being interested. The Naval Establishments are certainly getting inquiries, and it would be superb if the CFNA overall can hit 2012-2014 with good numbers of people who have the kit, know the drill---and can share the spirit!

            Vic Suthren

            Recruiting! I believe the Lieutenant to be an honourable officer and what a fine set of green clothes for a new man in the ranks. (a percentage for myself will be arranged at the mark of the Angel in Niagara)
            I think there are a lot of smart young people, some like Mr Milner are already trained, who want to get into the hobby. The obvious barriers are cost, see employment, and young women giggling at you.
            A smart lad can turn the last one around, it's called - an opportunity. The price of kit has gone up but there is plenty of kit languishing out there. I am guilty of this. Bought kit years ago, have great intentions to wear it again. A lack of time and no lack of waist size have become the controlling factors.
            Sell the kit, give it away, show young folks how to make their own.
            There are plenty of people who want to get into this before 2012. How manydays Kevin? The folks who are asking now understand it can take time to sort out kit, learn the drills and gell with a group.

            It's the folks who show up June 19th, 2012 who could be problematic.

            Welcome Mr. Milner

            Jim Hill

            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ekwardle" <ekwardle@...> wrote:

            > Hello Mr. Milner,
            >
            > If you are interested in becoming a Re-enactor, might I suggest checking out http://7thbattalion60th.wordpress.com/join-us/
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Lieut.(Ret'd) Ewan K. Wardle
            > Fort York Guard
            >
            > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "milner_jon" <milner_jon@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Greetings,
            > >
            > > My name is Jonathan Milner. I am a recent graduate of Brock University's History program. During my time at Brock I decided to work for Parks Canada at Fort George as a Grenadier in '06. I loved my time working at the Fort but since I graduated I cannot be a squaddy anymore. Thus I am interested in becoming a Re-enactor.
            > >
            > > The experience at the Fort allowed me a unique point of view when writing essays particularly about the importance of gunpowder and drill in large professional armies. This experience was then used to gain a volunteer position with Brock with Dr. Kee working on a game based on the War of 1812.
            > >
            > > Cheers Everyone,
            > > Jonathan Milner

          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 9, 2010
              890 days left!!

              KW

              _____

              From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
              Of a10rca

              How many days Kevin?

            • milner_jon
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 9, 2010
                Thank you Mr. Hill that means a lot coming from you. I wore the Red as a Grenadier of the 41st from '06. We were all very impressed with the showing from Fort Erie and the Fencibles that year, particularly the volley, of which I believe you were part!
                Actually the only concern I do have is the cost of and acquiring the kit.
                The ladies giggling at me is of no concern, (I seem to recall that women like a man in uniform, my better half certainly did!) Even if they do, laugh that is, it is a small price to pay for the presentation of history!
                Drill is of no issue and I look forward to getting out there as soon as I can acquire the uniform!

                Cheers all,
                Jonathan Milner