Hello Everyone!

  • milner_jon
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
      Greetings,

      My name is Jonathan Milner. I am a recent graduate of Brock University's History program. During my time at Brock I decided to work for Parks Canada at Fort George as a Grenadier in '06. I loved my time working at the Fort but since I graduated I cannot be a squaddy anymore. Thus I am interested in becoming a Re-enactor.

      The experience at the Fort allowed me a unique point of view when writing essays particularly about the importance of gunpowder and drill in large professional armies. This experience was then used to gain a volunteer position with Brock with Dr. Kee working on a game based on the War of 1812.

      Cheers Everyone,
      Jonathan Milner
    • petemonahan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
        Jonathon

        Welcome to the list! Ignoring the posts about how close Toronto (Ontario, Canada) is to being the center of the universe and which brand of almond sherry is best, the list members often posts items of use and interest to historians and reenactors.

        BTW, a number of us who are educators as well as reenactors were quite pleased to hear of your 1812 Game. I believe Mt Windsor, from the Lundy's Lane Mueum irst allerted us to it a month or two ago. I've even checked it out. Quite interesting!

        Again, welcome to 1812!

        Peter Monahan
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
          Mt Windsor!! Did I gain that much weight over the holidays!

          Actually it was probably closer to a year ago Peter.time is flying fast!

          As for the Lundy's Lane Historical Museum, it is now a thing of the past!
          We have closed our doors after almost 50 years! We have begun our
          renovation and our move to our off site location (The Niagara Falls Armoury)
          and will open our temporary Museum in the spring of 2010. We will open
          under our new name, "The Niagara Falls History Museum" to reflect our actual
          mandate of interpreting the history and development of the City of Niagara
          Falls. The War of 1812 will still be a large part of our Museum and will be
          reflected in the "Gale Family War of 1812 Visitors Centre". The new Museum
          will be completed and ready to open June 2012!

          Exciting times ahead.

          Kevin Windsor, Curator

          Niagara Falls History Museum

          (and that is the first time I have used that title!)

          p.s. Jonathan is one of our dedicated volunteers!

          _____

          From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
          Of petemonahan

          BTW, a number of us who are educators as well as reenactors were quite
          pleased to hear of your 1812 Game. I believe Mt Windsor, from the Lundy's
          Lane Mueum irst allerted us to it a month or two ago. I've even checked it
          out. Quite interesting!

          Again, welcome to 1812!

          Peter Monahan

          _,_._,___

        • Dave Robinson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
            Is this game available anywhere?
            Can someone point me to it?

            Dave Robinson
            canoe@...

            On 3-Jan-10, at 9:30 AM, petemonahan wrote:

            > Jonathon
            >
            > Welcome to the list! Ignoring the posts about how close Toronto
            > (Ontario, Canada) is to being the center of the universe and which
            > brand of almond sherry is best, the list members often posts items
            > of use and interest to historians and reenactors.
            >
            > BTW, a number of us who are educators as well as reenactors were
            > quite pleased to hear of your 1812 Game. I believe Mt Windsor, from
            > the Lundy's Lane Mueum irst allerted us to it a month or two ago.
            > I've even checked it out. Quite interesting!
            >
            > Again, welcome to 1812!
            >
            > Peter Monahan
            >

            > ------------------------------------
            >
            > War of 1812 Living History:
            > A wide-ranging information exchange
            > for all participants and supporters

            > Crown Forces Unit Listing:
            > http://1812crownforces.tripod.com
            > American Forces Unit Listing
            > http://usforces1812.tripod.com
            >
            > WAR OF 1812 EVENTS LIST:

          • ekwardle
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
              Hello Mr. Milner,

              If you are interested in becoming a Re-enactor, might I suggest checking out http://7thbattalion60th.wordpress.com/join-us/

              Regards,

              Lieut.(Ret'd) Ewan K. Wardle
              Fort York Guard

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "milner_jon" <milner_jon@...> wrote:

              > Greetings,
              >
              > My name is Jonathan Milner. I am a recent graduate of Brock University's History program. During my time at Brock I decided to work for Parks Canada at Fort George as a Grenadier in '06. I loved my time working at the Fort but since I graduated I cannot be a squaddy anymore. Thus I am interested in becoming a Re-enactor.
              >
              > The experience at the Fort allowed me a unique point of view when writing essays particularly about the importance of gunpowder and drill in large professional armies. This experience was then used to gain a volunteer position with Brock with Dr. Kee working on a game based on the War of 1812.
              >
              > Cheers Everyone,
              > Jonathan Milner

            • a10rca
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
                Well done Ewan.
                Recruiting! I believe the Lieutenant to be an honourable officer and what a fine set of green clothes for a new man in the ranks. (a percentage for myself will be arranged at the mark of the Angel in Niagara)
                I think there are a lot of smart young people, some like Mr Milner are already trained, who want to get into the hobby. The obvious barriers are cost, see employment, and young women giggling at you.
                A smart lad can turn the last one around, it's called - an opportunity. The price of kit has gone up but there is plenty of kit languishing out there. I am guilty of this. Bought kit years ago, have great intentions to wear it again. A lack of time and no lack of waist size have become the controlling factors.
                Sell the kit, give it away, show young folks how to make their own.
                There are plenty of people who want to get into this before 2012. How manydays Kevin? The folks who are asking now understand it can take time to sort out kit, learn the drills and gell with a group.

                It's the folks who show up June 19th, 2012 who could be problematic.

                Welcome Mr. Milner

                Jim Hill

                --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ekwardle" <ekwardle@...> wrote:

                > Hello Mr. Milner,
                >
                > If you are interested in becoming a Re-enactor, might I suggest checking out http://7thbattalion60th.wordpress.com/join-us/
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Lieut.(Ret'd) Ewan K. Wardle
                > Fort York Guard
                >
                > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "milner_jon" <milner_jon@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Greetings,
                > >
                > > My name is Jonathan Milner. I am a recent graduate of Brock University's History program. During my time at Brock I decided to work for Parks Canada at Fort George as a Grenadier in '06. I loved my time working at the Fort but since I graduated I cannot be a squaddy anymore. Thus I am interested in becoming a Re-enactor.
                > >
                > > The experience at the Fort allowed me a unique point of view when writing essays particularly about the importance of gunpowder and drill in large professional armies. This experience was then used to gain a volunteer position with Brock with Dr. Kee working on a game based on the War of 1812.
                > >
                > > Cheers Everyone,
                > > Jonathan Milner

              • Victor Suthren
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 8, 2010
                  It really is heartening to see the building interest in the Bicentennial that is leading to new recruits---and particularly to see young blood being interested. The Naval Establishments are certainly getting inquiries, and it would be superb if the CFNA overall can hit 2012-2014 with good numbers of people who have the kit, know the drill---and can share the spirit!

                  Vic Suthren

                  Recruiting! I believe the Lieutenant to be an honourable officer and what a fine set of green clothes for a new man in the ranks. (a percentage for myself will be arranged at the mark of the Angel in Niagara)
                  I think there are a lot of smart young people, some like Mr Milner are already trained, who want to get into the hobby. The obvious barriers are cost, see employment, and young women giggling at you.
                  A smart lad can turn the last one around, it's called - an opportunity. The price of kit has gone up but there is plenty of kit languishing out there. I am guilty of this. Bought kit years ago, have great intentions to wear it again. A lack of time and no lack of waist size have become the controlling factors.
                  Sell the kit, give it away, show young folks how to make their own.
                  There are plenty of people who want to get into this before 2012. How manydays Kevin? The folks who are asking now understand it can take time to sort out kit, learn the drills and gell with a group.

                  It's the folks who show up June 19th, 2012 who could be problematic.

                  Welcome Mr. Milner

                  Jim Hill

                  --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "ekwardle" <ekwardle@...> wrote:

                  > Hello Mr. Milner,
                  >
                  > If you are interested in becoming a Re-enactor, might I suggest checking out http://7thbattalion60th.wordpress.com/join-us/
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Lieut.(Ret'd) Ewan K. Wardle
                  > Fort York Guard
                  >
                  > --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "milner_jon" <milner_jon@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Greetings,
                  > >
                  > > My name is Jonathan Milner. I am a recent graduate of Brock University's History program. During my time at Brock I decided to work for Parks Canada at Fort George as a Grenadier in '06. I loved my time working at the Fort but since I graduated I cannot be a squaddy anymore. Thus I am interested in becoming a Re-enactor.
                  > >
                  > > The experience at the Fort allowed me a unique point of view when writing essays particularly about the importance of gunpowder and drill in large professional armies. This experience was then used to gain a volunteer position with Brock with Dr. Kee working on a game based on the War of 1812.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers Everyone,
                  > > Jonathan Milner

                • Kevin Windsor
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 9, 2010
                    890 days left!!

                    KW

                    _____

                    From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
                    Of a10rca

                    How many days Kevin?

                  • milner_jon
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 9, 2010
                      Thank you Mr. Hill that means a lot coming from you. I wore the Red as a Grenadier of the 41st from '06. We were all very impressed with the showing from Fort Erie and the Fencibles that year, particularly the volley, of which I believe you were part!
                      Actually the only concern I do have is the cost of and acquiring the kit.
                      The ladies giggling at me is of no concern, (I seem to recall that women like a man in uniform, my better half certainly did!) Even if they do, laugh that is, it is a small price to pay for the presentation of history!
                      Drill is of no issue and I look forward to getting out there as soon as I can acquire the uniform!

                      Cheers all,
                      Jonathan Milner