Re: Rifles----Blunderbuss ?!?! British perspective

  • Roger Fuller
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2000
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Annette and Lloyd Gower <agower@...>
      To: WarOf1812@onelist.com <WarOf1812@onelist.com>
      Date: 01 February 2000 17:47
      Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Rifles----Blunderbuss ?!?! British perspective

      From: "Annette and Lloyd Gower" <agower@...>

      Rifles do not , Riflemen do on occasion .
      aberacadabera . poof .
      The Rifles are not "poofs"; they are "saucy fellows". Riflemen of other nations I couldn't possibly comment on.... :^)

      Roger
      3/95th (Rifles)
    • Scott McDonald
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2000
        >The Rifles are not "poofs"; they are "saucy fellows". Riflemen of other
        >nations I couldn't possibly comment on.... :^)
        >
        >Roger
        >3/95th (Rifles)

        "AUSTRALIA AUSTRAILA AUSTRAILIA!...NO MORE POOFTAS!"
        This Monyy Python moment has been brought to you by...
        Scott McDonald
      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2000
          "If the Americans were using buck and ball in the War of 1812, is there any possibility of the Crown Forces were doing it again as well? I haven't heard of any, myself."

          Never heard of it! That would mean producing yet another ammunition and possibly screwing up supply etc. No I believe "buck`n`ball" is souly US
          Craig on this continent.

        • Len Heidebrecht
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2000
            There were an incredable amount of arms and ammunition captured at Detroit, Mackinac, Raisin Queenston,Niagara, etc . Much of those arms and belting were distributed to the militia, so does it not follow that the prewrapped captured ammunition would be issued as well?

            Len

            > "If the Americans were using buck and ball in the War of 1812, is there any possibility of the Crown Forces were doing it again as well? I haven't heard of any, myself."
            >
            > Never heard of it! That would mean producing yet another ammunition and possibly screwing up supply etc. No I believe "buck`n`ball" is souly US
            > Craig on this continent.

            Umm, define which continent please....

            HotBot - Search smarter.
            http://www.hotbot.com
          • Craig Williams
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2000
              Actually Len my previous missive got cocked up somehow and should have
              read,"buck and ball is souly US, on this continent. Craig"
              And yes I'm pretty sure that not how to spell "souly" but my spell check is
              suffering from Microsoft "we don't speak English we speak American", and I
              am a little dyslexic.

              As to your comment " There were an incredable amount of arms and ammunition
              captured at Detroit, Mackinac, Raisin Queenston,Niagara, etc . Much of those
              arms and belting were distributed to the militia, so does it not follow that
              the prewrapped captured ammunition would be issued as well?

              I say yes of course it's possible but I've yet to find referrence. Perhaps
              someone else knows?
            • Roger Fuller
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2000
                "AUSTRALIA AUSTRAILA AUSTRAILIA!...NO MORE POOFTAS!"
                This Monyy Python moment has been brought to you by...
                Scott McDonald

                My all time fave newspaper headline, from Australia, congratulating Elton John when he married some poor woman (an unexpected, ultimately doomed event- they divorced [wonder why...]):

                "GOOD ON'YER, POUFTER!"

                Roger