Re: 1812 Massachusetts MIlitia

  • Ed Seufert
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
      Don't know whether its true or not but Henry Adams says that Scott was so impressed by the regiments recruited in New England that it swayed him years later to side with the Union over his native state of Virginia. To quote "Scott's brigade was chiefly composed of New England men; and when, nearly half a century afterward, Scott in his old age was obliged to choose between his allegiance to his State and allegiance to the Union, the memory of the New England troops who had won for him his first renown had its influence in raising his mind above the local sympathies which controlled other Virginia officers."

      Another interesting quote from Adams is that while New York furnished the most regular troops during the war, Massachusetts was second and supplied as many as Viriginia and the two Carolinas combined.

      Cheers,
      Ed Seufert, Cpl
      1812 Royal Marines
      From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Paul Watson

      Also just to clarify something the 21st was never a part of Scott's
      Brigade... ever

      Paul
      Surgeon and Private, 21st US
      _,___

    • Paul Watson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
        Ahhh where would we be in the world without coffee...

        _____

        From: WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com] On Behalf

        Of Paul Watson

        Also just to clarify something the 21st was never a part of Scott's

        Brigade... ever

        Paul

        Surgeon and Private, 21st US

        _,___

      • indyleaguesgraveyard
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2010
          Ed,

          Thank you very much for answering my question.

          Yes, the comment was indeed made in the House of Representatives by Adam Huntsman of Tennessee in response to the opposition of the recognition of Texas independence by Samuel Hoar of Massachusetts. I wasn't sure if he was referring to a particular incident or not. Thank you for giving me a little background explanation.

          Kevin