RE: 1812 Massachusetts MIlitia

  • Kevin Windsor
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
      And the 9th US as well!

      It seems that most of Scott's Brigade was made up of Yanks.

      Kevin

      89th

      _____

      From: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Ed Seufert

      Of course, the state's stance did not stop regular US regiments from
      recruiting in the area and individuals joining such regiments. Mr Adams goes
      on to point out that the US 21st was primarily from Massachusetts and the US
      25th was from Connecticut.

    • Paul Watson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
        The 21st was primarily recruited from areas like Bangor and Portland (Maine) Massachusetts, with some of the officers coming from Boston and outlying.  For those wondering about the areas mentioned, Maine did not become a state until 1820 when it .  So yes, the 21st was raised in Massachusetts, but in the main of men from Maine... err... mainly (had to throw that in).  It still seems funny to me that a state that was so avowedly against the war would raise a regiment to fight in it.

        Also just to clarify something the 21st was never a part of Scott's Brigade... ever

        Paul
        Surgeon and Private, 21st US

        From: WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com] On Behalf

        Of Ed Seufert

        Of course, the state's stance did not stop regular US regiments from

        recruiting in the area and individuals joining such regiments. Mr Adams goes

        on to point out that the US 21st was primarily from Massachusetts and the US

        25th was from Connecticut.

        _

        <!--
        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mkp {
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px 0;padding:0 10px;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mkp hr {
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mkp #hd {
        color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mkp #ads {
        margin-bottom:10px;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mkp .ad {
        padding:0 0;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mkp .ad a {
        color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc {
        font-family:Arial;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd {
        margin:10px 0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad {
        margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

        #yiv1121899768 a {
        color:#1e66ae;}

        #yiv1121899768 #actions {
        font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

        #yiv1121899768 #activity {
        background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

        #yiv1121899768 #activity span {
        font-weight:700;}

        #yiv1121899768 #activity span:first-child {
        text-transform:uppercase;}

        #yiv1121899768 #activity span a {
        color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

        #yiv1121899768 #activity span span {
        color:#ff7900;}

        #yiv1121899768 #activity span .underline {
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #yiv1121899768 .attach {
        clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px 0;width:400px;}

        #yiv1121899768 .attach div a {
        text-decoration:none;}

        #yiv1121899768 .attach img {
        border:none;padding-right:5px;}

        #yiv1121899768 .attach label {
        display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

        #yiv1121899768 .attach label a {
        text-decoration:none;}

        #yiv1121899768 blockquote {
        margin:0 0 0 4px;}

        #yiv1121899768 .bold {
        font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

        #yiv1121899768 .bold a {
        text-decoration:none;}

        #yiv1121899768 dd.last p a {
        font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

        #yiv1121899768 dd.last p span {
        margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

        #yiv1121899768 dd.last p span.yshortcuts {
        margin-right:0;}

        #yiv1121899768 div.attach-table div div a {
        text-decoration:none;}

        #yiv1121899768 div.attach-table {
        width:400px;}

        #yiv1121899768 div.file-title a, #yiv1121899768 div.file-title a:active, #yiv1121899768 div.file-title a:hover, #yiv1121899768 div.file-title a:visited {
        text-decoration:none;}

        #yiv1121899768 div.photo-title a, #yiv1121899768 div.photo-title a:active, #yiv1121899768 div.photo-title a:hover, #yiv1121899768 div.photo-title a:visited {
        text-decoration:none;}

        #yiv1121899768 div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts {
        font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

        #yiv1121899768 .green {
        color:#628c2a;}

        #yiv1121899768 .MsoNormal {
        margin:0 0 0 0;}

        #yiv1121899768 o {
        font-size:0;}

        #yiv1121899768 #photos div {
        float:left;width:72px;}

        #yiv1121899768 #photos div div {
        border:1px solid #666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

        #yiv1121899768 #photos div label {
        color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

        #yiv1121899768 #reco-category {
        font-size:77%;}

        #yiv1121899768 #reco-desc {
        font-size:77%;}

        #yiv1121899768 .replbq {
        margin:4px;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
        margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mlmsg {
        font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mlmsg table {
        font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mlmsg select, #yiv1121899768 input, #yiv1121899768 textarea {
        font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv1121899768 code {
        font:115% monospace;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mlmsg * {
        line-height:1.22em;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mlmsg #logo {
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mlmsg a {
        color:#1E66AE;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-msg p a {
        font-family:Verdana;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span {
        color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
        color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-reco {
        margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a {
        font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-sponsor #ov li {
        font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul {
        margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-text {
        font-family:Georgia;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-text p {
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-text tt {
        font-size:120%;}

        #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
        border-right:none !important;
        }
        -->

      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
          Yes you are right Paul! I typed too soon and before my coffee!

          KW

          _____

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
            Don't know whether its true or not but Henry Adams says that Scott was so impressed by the regiments recruited in New England that it swayed him years later to side with the Union over his native state of Virginia. To quote "Scott's brigade was chiefly composed of New England men; and when, nearly half a century afterward, Scott in his old age was obliged to choose between his allegiance to his State and allegiance to the Union, the memory of the New England troops who had won for him his first renown had its influence in raising his mind above the local sympathies which controlled other Virginia officers."

            Another interesting quote from Adams is that while New York furnished the most regular troops during the war, Massachusetts was second and supplied as many as Viriginia and the two Carolinas combined.

            Cheers,
            Ed Seufert, Cpl
            1812 Royal Marines

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
              Ahhh where would we be in the world without coffee...

              From: WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com] On Behalf

              Of Paul Watson

              Also just to clarify something the 21st was never a part of Scott's

              Brigade... ever

              Paul

              Surgeon and Private, 21st US

              _,___

            • indyleaguesgraveyard
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 5, 2010
                Ed,

                Thank you very much for answering my question.

                Yes, the comment was indeed made in the House of Representatives by Adam Huntsman of Tennessee in response to the opposition of the recognition of Texas independence by Samuel Hoar of Massachusetts. I wasn't sure if he was referring to a particular incident or not. Thank you for giving me a little background explanation.

                Kevin