Massachusetts MIlitia

  • indyleaguesgraveyard
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2010
      Hello everyone,

      I'm new to the board and I have a question regarding research I'm doing for a biography. The subject refers to an instance during the war when the Massachusetts Militia "marched all around their own capital...and would not fight at all." Does anyone know what particular instance is being referred to, and was it a true statement?

      Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

      Kevin McCann
      http://www.kevindmccann.com
    • Ed Seufert
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2010
        Kevin,

        Welcome aboard.

        I'll take a guess at this.

        A quick check shows that the statement comes from a debate in Congress in 1837 and may have been delivered as a slight to one of the Massachusetts delegates.

        During the War of 1812, New England was mostly against the war and the various states militia don't seem to have been mobilized for most of the war. Henry Adams in his book "The War of 1812" writes that Governour Strong of Massachusetts did not call out the miltia for state service until Sept 6, 1814 and only after the eastern half of Maine had been overrun by the British. At no time does it seem there was any intent to serve under federal command and an inquiry for payment for service was answered in the negative by the new Secretary of War, James Monroe, as the troops were serving solely in the states defense. So in essence, the Mass. Militia did march around their own capital (or state) and did not fight as an entitiy in the war.

        Of course, the state's stance did not stop regular US regiments from recruiting in the area and individuals joining such regiments. Mr Adams goes on to point out that the US 21st was primarily from Massachusetts and the US 25th was from Connecticut.

        Cheers,

        Ed Seufert, Cpl
        1812 Royal Marines

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
          And the 9th US as well!

          It seems that most of Scott's Brigade was made up of Yanks.

          Kevin

          89th

          _____

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
            The 21st was primarily recruited from areas like Bangor and Portland (Maine) Massachusetts, with some of the officers coming from Boston and outlying.  For those wondering about the areas mentioned, Maine did not become a state until 1820 when it .  So yes, the 21st was raised in Massachusetts, but in the main of men from Maine... err... mainly (had to throw that in).  It still seems funny to me that a state that was so avowedly against the war would raise a regiment to fight in it.

            Also just to clarify something the 21st was never a part of Scott's Brigade... ever

            Paul
            Surgeon and Private, 21st US

            From: WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com [mailto:WarOf1812@yahoogrou ps.com] On Behalf

            Of Ed Seufert

            Of course, the state's stance did not stop regular US regiments from

            recruiting in the area and individuals joining such regiments. Mr Adams goes

            on to point out that the US 21st was primarily from Massachusetts and the US

            25th was from Connecticut.

            _

            <!--
            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mkp {
            border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px 0;padding:0 10px;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mkp hr {
            border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mkp #hd {
            color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mkp #ads {
            margin-bottom:10px;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mkp .ad {
            padding:0 0;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mkp .ad a {
            color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc {
            font-family:Arial;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd {
            margin:10px 0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad {
            margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}

            #yiv1121899768 a {
            color:#1e66ae;}

            #yiv1121899768 #actions {
            font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}

            #yiv1121899768 #activity {
            background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}

            #yiv1121899768 #activity span {
            font-weight:700;}

            #yiv1121899768 #activity span:first-child {
            text-transform:uppercase;}

            #yiv1121899768 #activity span a {
            color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}

            #yiv1121899768 #activity span span {
            color:#ff7900;}

            #yiv1121899768 #activity span .underline {
            text-decoration:underline;}

            #yiv1121899768 .attach {
            clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px 0;width:400px;}

            #yiv1121899768 .attach div a {
            text-decoration:none;}

            #yiv1121899768 .attach img {
            border:none;padding-right:5px;}

            #yiv1121899768 .attach label {
            display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}

            #yiv1121899768 .attach label a {
            text-decoration:none;}

            #yiv1121899768 blockquote {
            margin:0 0 0 4px;}

            #yiv1121899768 .bold {
            font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}

            #yiv1121899768 .bold a {
            text-decoration:none;}

            #yiv1121899768 dd.last p a {
            font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

            #yiv1121899768 dd.last p span {
            margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}

            #yiv1121899768 dd.last p span.yshortcuts {
            margin-right:0;}

            #yiv1121899768 div.attach-table div div a {
            text-decoration:none;}

            #yiv1121899768 div.attach-table {
            width:400px;}

            #yiv1121899768 div.file-title a, #yiv1121899768 div.file-title a:active, #yiv1121899768 div.file-title a:hover, #yiv1121899768 div.file-title a:visited {
            text-decoration:none;}

            #yiv1121899768 div.photo-title a, #yiv1121899768 div.photo-title a:active, #yiv1121899768 div.photo-title a:hover, #yiv1121899768 div.photo-title a:visited {
            text-decoration:none;}

            #yiv1121899768 div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts {
            font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}

            #yiv1121899768 .green {
            color:#628c2a;}

            #yiv1121899768 .MsoNormal {
            margin:0 0 0 0;}

            #yiv1121899768 o {
            font-size:0;}

            #yiv1121899768 #photos div {
            float:left;width:72px;}

            #yiv1121899768 #photos div div {
            border:1px solid #666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}

            #yiv1121899768 #photos div label {
            color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}

            #yiv1121899768 #reco-category {
            font-size:77%;}

            #yiv1121899768 #reco-desc {
            font-size:77%;}

            #yiv1121899768 .replbq {
            margin:4px;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
            margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mlmsg {
            font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mlmsg table {
            font-size:inherit;font:100%;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mlmsg select, #yiv1121899768 input, #yiv1121899768 textarea {
            font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv1121899768 code {
            font:115% monospace;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mlmsg * {
            line-height:1.22em;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mlmsg #logo {
            padding-bottom:10px;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-mlmsg a {
            color:#1E66AE;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-msg p a {
            font-family:Verdana;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span {
            color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
            color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-reco {
            margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a {
            font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-sponsor #ov li {
            font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul {
            margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-text {
            font-family:Georgia;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-text p {
            margin:0 0 1em 0;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-text tt {
            font-size:120%;}

            #yiv1121899768 #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {
            border-right:none !important;
            }
            -->

          • Kevin Windsor
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
              Yes you are right Paul! I typed too soon and before my coffee!

              KW

              _____

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
                Don't know whether its true or not but Henry Adams says that Scott was so impressed by the regiments recruited in New England that it swayed him years later to side with the Union over his native state of Virginia. To quote "Scott's brigade was chiefly composed of New England men; and when, nearly half a century afterward, Scott in his old age was obliged to choose between his allegiance to his State and allegiance to the Union, the memory of the New England troops who had won for him his first renown had its influence in raising his mind above the local sympathies which controlled other Virginia officers."

                Another interesting quote from Adams is that while New York furnished the most regular troops during the war, Massachusetts was second and supplied as many as Viriginia and the two Carolinas combined.

                Cheers,
                Ed Seufert, Cpl
                1812 Royal Marines

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
                  Ahhh where would we be in the world without coffee...

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 5, 2010
                    Ed,

                    Thank you very much for answering my question.

                    Yes, the comment was indeed made in the House of Representatives by Adam Huntsman of Tennessee in response to the opposition of the recognition of Texas independence by Samuel Hoar of Massachusetts. I wasn't sure if he was referring to a particular incident or not. Thank you for giving me a little background explanation.

                    Kevin