Haversacks

  • shayna121
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2009
      Hello All,
      I'm hoping to find some clarifying information on haversacks. I recently made a haversack from the pattern by Roy Najecki. He bases this pattern on an existing haversack dating (he believes) from the late 18th century. This is very similar to the haversack sold by Discriminating General which is based on three existing haversacks dating from the late 18th and early nineteenth century. It has always been my impression that this is the style of haversack that was in use in the early nineteenth century. However, in Pierre Turner's book, he illustrates a haversack with very different dimensions. He states that this haversack belonged to a Fencible Regiment, which, of course, was to be clothed in the same manner as the regular line regiments. He also sources a Commissariat order (1810) for 10,000 haversacks in similar sizes.
      My question is this: did standard pattern for haversacks change significantly in the early nineteenth century or was this a Peninsular War peculiarity? If they changed, would these haversacks have been shipped to Canada during the War of 1812 or would the thousands of haversacks left over from the Revolutionary War have sufficed throughout the war?

      Thanks,

      Chris McKay
      Royal Scots, Light Company