Gorget

  • jbwhittaker
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2009
      My thanks to everyone who offered infromation on gorgets it is greatly appreciated.
      Best regards,
      Bruce Whittaker
    • Mark Dickerson
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2009
        Here is some information about gorgets taken from the National Museum of
        Australia's website.

        The Royal Scots had their own style of gorget. It was the basic
        standardized engraved gorget, with the Royal Scots badges attached on the
        right and left sides.

        I have found that it is nearly impossible to find the engraved style of
        gorget on the web. From the Waterloo gorgets that I have seen at auction
        sites, all were engraved.

        Mark Dickerson

        Throughout the eighteenth century the size continued to be reduced and the
        metal standardised to either gold or silver in accordance with the colour of
        the regimental lace of the officer. By the end of the eighteenth century it
        was determined that the patterns and colours of gorgets and ribbons should
        be standardised. The infantry but not the foot guards were to have one
        pattern of gorget, 'gilt with gold with the King's Driver and Crown over it,
        engraved in the middle'. Gorgets were 'to be worn with a ribbon and tuft or
        rosette at each end, of the colour of the facings of the Regiment or Corps,
        excepting those which are faced with black who are to wear them with a red
        ribbon ... the gorget to be fastened to the upper button and the lower part
        of it not to come below the sixth button'. [4] Regiments with badges or
        other honours also engraved these on the gorget. [5] By the nineteenth
        century the average size of gorgets was 76.2mm across [6] and they were
        fastened with rosettes and ribbons through their horns to the collar buttons
        or to the top buttons of the lapels. Gorgets were not usually worn by
        cavalry or officers of the rifle corps and light infantry as they were an
        irritation to people who needed to move rapidly.

        1. WE May, WY Carman and J Tanner, Badges and Insignia of the British
        Armed Services: the Royal Navy, the Army, the Flying Services, St Martin's
        Press, New York, 1974, p. 126.

        2. Walton quoted by May et al, p. 128.

        3. May et al, p. 128.

        4. May et al, p. 128.

        5. May et al, p. 128.

        6. May et al, p. 129.

      • Mark Dickerson
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2009
          In my previous email, the information about the Royal Scots is not from the
          museum, that is my own information. The paragraph following my name, is
          copied from the NMA's website and the initial sentence should have been
          placed there.

          Please excuse my mistake and any confusion I may have caused.