Naval Establishments Awards

  • larrylozon
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
      ==============================

      TO:
      "CROWN FORCES NORTH AMERICA"

      Unit Commanders,

      Please Inform your members

      ==============================

      I am ordered to forward
      the following

      L. Lozon ~ AdC
      ==============================

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Victor Suthren

      Naval Establishments
      Crown Forces North America

      Naval Establishments Awards

      Cock Of The Walk Award
      Dick Deadeye Award

      Participants in activities of the Naval Establishments, Crown Forces North America, have been aware that the "Cock Of The Walk" Award is made to the most successful boat and crew at a Naval Establishment event, based on historical accuracy, spirit, and seamanship. A special award of COTW was made to the longboat 'Dromedary' and crew, Steve Eftimiades coxswain, at the July 17-19 2009 Founding Of The Royal Navy Dockyard 1759-2009 at Halifax. Nova Scotia.

      For individual naval re-enactors, the Naval Establishments is now establishing an award to be given at the discretion of the Commodore, Naval Establishments, at either a School of the Sailor or a Tactical event, which is to be known as the "Dick Deadeye Award" after a character in Gilbert & Sullivan's comic opera "HMS Pinafore". This award will be given out to that re-enactor at an event who best exemplifies the Naval Establishment commitment to accurate portrayal of the past, in (a) kit and appearance; (b) manner and spirit; and (c) seamanship and 'seamanlike behavior'.

      The first award of the Dick Deadeye Award will be made at the June 11-13, 2010 Naval Establishments School of the Sailor, to be held at Royal Military College of Canada, Kingston, Ontario.

      I have the honour to be,
      Gentlemen,
      Yours with great Regard

      Victor Suthren

      Commodore pro tem
      Naval Establishments
      Crown Forces North America

      GOD SAVE THE KING.
    • saultcitysoo
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2009
        Will there also be a "Little Buttercup" award?

        Sue Too

        --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "larrylozon" <larrylozon@...> wrote:

        > ==============================
        >
        > TO:
        > "CROWN FORCES NORTH AMERICA"
        >
        > Unit Commanders,
        >
        > Please Inform your members
        >
        > ==============================
        >
        > I am ordered to forward
        > the following
        >

        > L. Lozon ~ AdC
        > ==============================

      • MasterAtArms
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2009
          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "saultcitysoo" <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:

          > Will there also be a "Little Buttercup" award?

          In the long term, who knows? But in the short term, particularly with the award being given at the 2010 School of the Sailor, almost certainly not. Attendance is quite numerically restricted this year, so camp followers will be virtually nonexistent. Perhaps, however, this is an addition that might be considered at some future point in time, particularly if the awards are judged at a GT rather than a SOTS event.

          Commodore... thoughts?

          Cheers,
          Dale
        • Victor Suthren
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 8, 2009
            Will certainly consider the idea. Another member wrote off-line to suggest the title be the 'Emma Hamilton Award'. This---ah---clearly will require some research and thought.

            Vic Suthren

            > Will there also be a "Little Buttercup" award?

            In the long term, who knows? But in the short term, particularly with the award being given at the 2010 School of the Sailor, almost certainly not. Attendance is quite numerically restricted this year, so camp followers will be virtually nonexistent. Perhaps, however, this is an addition that might be considered at some future point in time, particularly if the awards are judged at a GT rather than a SOTS event.

            Commodore... thoughts?

            Cheers,
            Dale

          • Ray Hobbs
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 8, 2009
              But, my good sir:
              Who stipulates that the Little Buttercup award should be restricted to camp followers?
              Now, running for cover :-)
              Yrs etc.
              Ray Hobbs
              Hon Col. 41st
              AdC Lt. Col. Williams, CF

              To: WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com
              From: ucpm_gunner@...
              Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 19:20:08 +0000

              --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "saultcitysoo" <saultcitysoo@...> wrote:

              > Will there also be a "Little Buttercup" award?

              In the long term, who knows? But in the short term, particularly with the award being given at the 2010 School of the Sailor, almost certainly not. Attendance is quite numerically restricted this year, so camp followers will be virtually nonexistent. Perhaps, however, this is an addition that might be considered at some future point in time, particularly if the awards are judged at a GT rather than a SOTS event.

              Commodore... thoughts?

              Cheers,

              Dale

            • petemonahan
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 8, 2009
                "MasterAtArms" wrote:

                "Perhaps, however, this is an addition that might be considered at some future point in time, particularly if the awards are judged at a GT rather than a SOTS event."

                Whatever the outcome of the Little Buttercup vs Lady Hamilton debate, one can only hope that the Commodore will put his mind to devising a less unfortunate acronym than "SOTS" for this worthy nautical endeavour.

                Unless of course the construction was deliberate in which case... Oh, never mind!

                Warmest seasons greetings to all!

                Peter
              • Tom Hurlbut
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 9, 2009
                  Well, for my part, I always abbreviated the School of the Sailors as SoS..
                  Is that any better?

                  "Commander (acting)" Tom

                  _____