Re: 1812 Re: Gorget cord

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2009
      There are photographs of originals are not too hard to find but the gorgette is not actualy attached by a cord but a ribbon of regimental facing colour at the end of which is a boss, made in the same way as an officers shao cockade, of ribbon identical to the hanging ribbon. The hanging ribbon is attached to the center of the boss and passed through the hole in the gorgette, one either side. The hangig ribbons are formed into loops that fasten to the buttons on the lower lace decoration o the collar and the length is adjusted so that the gorgette hangs immediatly below the collar with the shirt frill poking up through it. Also the gorgette should be lined in chamois leather, glued in the back none of it showing at the front.

      A point about the gorgette it is NOT a badge of rank but an indication that the officer wearing it is on duty, consiquently any officer not on duty should not be wearing it.

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2009
        PS.

        The discription I quoted is specificaly for the 7th Foot (Royal Fusiliers) there are variations on this

      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
          Would any British troops attending New Orleans in January who are interested in taking part in filming the new piece for the Visitors Center please contact me off list.

          This is a paid job that will shoot on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Lots of details to follow.

          Cheers

          Tim Pickles

        • roy winders
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009