Gorget cord

  • jbwhittaker
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2009
      Greetings all,
      I attended the Historic Merchants Gathering in Hamilton yesterday. Congratulations to all involved in the planning and execution of the Gathering. It was nice to see old friends and do a wee bit of shopping.
      I purchased a British gorget and was wondering if anyone could direct me to where I could find a source for a cord. I have looked on-line but have found very little so far other than a few pictures from museum pieces. Any help will be appreciated.
      Regards,
      Bruce Whittaker
    • petemonahan
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2009
        Bruce

        At least in 1812 I believe that gorgets were typically suspended from ribbon, with a small rosette of the same ribbon at the each end, so that no unsightly knot is vissible on the front face of the gorget. It should be possible to find illustratins of the same, though I can't refer you to any specific examples I'm afraid. Perhaps a more knowledgeable member can suggest some.

        Peter
      • Craig Williams
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 6, 2009
          Hi Bruce,

          What application is this for? Is it for use in a native impression? A
          British Officer? If so what regiment?

          The British officers Gorget was suspended on a silk ribbon or cord
          with rosettes on the ends the pass through the suspension holes,
          made in the same colour as their regimental facings. The original
          ribbon I saw at NAM was made of silk grosgrain ribbon, but there are
          examples of plain silk ribbon and silk cording as well.
          Some depictions show the ribbon going inside the collar and therefore
          around the neck, others show them going around the collar and yet
          others show them being attached or buttonholed to the buttons on the
          collar.
          Based on the illustrations of the time they could be either buttoned
          to the collar, tied behind the neck on the outside of the collar,
          same only inside the collar or fastened with a hook attached under
          the rosette using a ribbon at a fixed length.
          I don't have any hard copy on this without going to the regs, which I
          will try to get to later but I seem to remember that the gorget was,
          by the 1812 war, no longer worn in the field but rather worn solely
          by the officer of the day in garrison or camp.

          If it's a first nations impression I'm pretty sure there is far more
          latitude regarding their suspension as the indians tended to
          embellish these things in their own style and wore them as much for
          denoting rank as for decoration.

          Craig Williams
        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2009
            There are photographs of originals are not too hard to find but the gorgette is not actualy attached by a cord but a ribbon of regimental facing colour at the end of which is a boss, made in the same way as an officers shao cockade, of ribbon identical to the hanging ribbon. The hanging ribbon is attached to the center of the boss and passed through the hole in the gorgette, one either side. The hangig ribbons are formed into loops that fasten to the buttons on the lower lace decoration o the collar and the length is adjusted so that the gorgette hangs immediatly below the collar with the shirt frill poking up through it. Also the gorgette should be lined in chamois leather, glued in the back none of it showing at the front.

            A point about the gorgette it is NOT a badge of rank but an indication that the officer wearing it is on duty, consiquently any officer not on duty should not be wearing it.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6, 2009
              PS.

              The discription I quoted is specificaly for the 7th Foot (Royal Fusiliers) there are variations on this

            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009
                Would any British troops attending New Orleans in January who are interested in taking part in filming the new piece for the Visitors Center please contact me off list.

                This is a paid job that will shoot on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Lots of details to follow.

                Cheers

                Tim Pickles

              • roy winders
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 7, 2009