Visit to the AGO

  • Craig Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2009
      Yesterday, I went to the AGO, primarily to see the Tutankhamun show,
      but also to check out the new building and galleries.
      The new building is pretty exciting, interesting and well designed,
      unlike the neighboring "Sponge-bob Square school" (OCAD extension)
      next door or the giant space-herpe on the ROM.
      What's this to do with 1812?
      Well, one of the new permanent galleries, houses the collection of a
      long time patron of the AGO Ken Thompson, who, among other things ,
      collected ship models. Really good ship models. I have never seen so
      many French POW models of the Victory made out of soup bones in one
      place!

      The collection isn't just the Victory , or ships made of soup bones
      either. There some top notch naval architects models from as early as
      the 1600's up to the early part of the 20th century. and all of them
      are gorgeous. There's a really nice model of a british landing craft
      from the Napoleonic era with sailors and solders (not Marines) done
      in what appears to be 1/35 scale.

      Thompson also left an important collection of Canadian art from all
      eras to the AGO which is on display, and he left them a great
      collection of portrait miniatures many of which are from the early
      19th century.

      Even if you are not going to see the Tut exhibit, (which was very
      good), The Gallery is worth a visit to see the improved building and
      the permanent collection.

      Craig Williams