Re: Nock's volley gun

  • Roger Fuller
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2000
      -----Original Message-----
      From: tlubka@... <tlubka@...>
      To: WarOf1812@onelist.com <WarOf1812@onelist.com>
      Date: 01 February 2000 08:08
      Subject: [WarOf1812] Nock's volley gun

      >From: tlubka@...
      >
      > Roger, Roger, Roger!
      >Have you forgotten Mr. Sharpe! Didn't his Sgt. carry a volley gun?
      >Gosh Roger, everything in the Sharpe novels has to be correct right???;-)

      Shame on me- it is after all the primary source for our uniforming and
      practices (NOT).... :^)

      >On a more realistic note I remember when a Mr. Larry Stutt at the Erie P.A.
      >event (no longer an event)had the opportunity to fire a repro Nock Volley
      gun.
      >He spread 3 rounds amoungst the 7 barrels (big rounds, 120 grains each). He
      fired the gun from the hip. He did manage to stay on his feet.
      >I'd love a volley gun but cleaning it would be a real pain in the you know
      what!

      And this guy lived to tell the tale? Hell- if I put 120 grains and a patched
      ball in my Baker, it would knock me flat on my keyster. 360 grains? I dunno,
      Terry- that must have been VERY loose ball in there...just rolling out the
      barrel as it fired... unless of course, you mean "reenacting rounds", all
      powder, no (I hope) ball.

      At any rate 360 grains of black powder in a musket/rifle/volley gun is VERY
      dangerous to the shooter, as well as those near him.

      Does the owner (not Mr Stutt, I imagine) use it habitually at reenactments,
      if so, what is his historical provenance for doing so, other than to wow the
      Sharpe fans?

      Yes, cleaning one unrifled barrel of black powder residue is bad enough, but
      seven? What a mess.

      Roger
      3/95th (Rifles)