RE: "buck & ball"

  • Jim Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
      From: "Roger Fuller" <fullerfamily@...>

      <snip> in the British Army of the War of 1812 era, at least in the rifle regiments, I have seen no reference to buck and ball at all being used either in combat or in garrison. <snip>

      Jim adds: nor will ye, lad! Forces of the Crown did not use such a barbaric load. 'Twas purely an innovation of the U.S. forces, and one much resented by the Brits. I also believe it was only used (as a standard load) in muskets, as your point about the "buck" throwing off a rifle's ball sounds inherently correct...
      I have also come across documentation that states the "buck" caused fairly minor wounds, enraging the person wounded rather than putting him out of action...
      A musket was fished out of the Chateaugay River a few years back that had been dropped in by fleeing U.S. soldier at some point in the 1813 battle. The barrel was x-rayed & the "buck & ball" are clearly visible...
    • Annette and Lloyd Gower
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
        I do believe the musket was dropped as a gallant and heroic American soldier
        charged across a river at the enemy , loosing his life in the attempt.
        > <snip> in the British Army of the War of 1812 era, at least in the rifle
        regiments, I have seen no reference to buck and ball at all being used
        either in combat or in garrison. <snip>

        > Jim adds: nor will ye, lad! Forces of the Crown did not use such a
        barbaric load. 'Twas purely an innovation of the U.S. forces, and one much
        resented by the Brits. I also believe it was only used (as a standard load)
        in muskets, as your point about the "buck" throwing off a rifle's ball
        sounds inherently correct...
        > I have also come across documentation that states the "buck" caused fairly
        minor wounds, enraging the person wounded rather than putting him out of
        action...
        > A musket was fished out of the Chateaugay River a few years back that had
        been dropped in by fleeing U.S. soldier at some point in the 1813 battle.
        The barrel was x-rayed & the "buck & ball" are clearly visible...

        > GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 2.9 percent
        > Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.
        Here</a>

        square miles...

      • Len Heidebrecht
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
          Oh dear. Trying an 'Ogdensburg' in the warm weather. Bad, bad, bad, soldier...its the rolled up paper for you!

          >>I do believe the musket was dropped as a gallant and heroic American
          >soldier
          >>charged across a river at the enemy , loosing his life in the attempt.
          >

          >And how do we know this?
          >
          >Curious, Craig

          HotBot - Search smarter.
          http://www.hotbot.com
        • Craig Williams
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
            From: Annette and Lloyd Gower <agower@...>
            To: WarOf1812@onelist.com <WarOf1812@onelist.com>
            Date: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 4:51 PM
            Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] RE: "buck & ball"

            >From: "Annette and Lloyd Gower" <agower@...>
            >
            >I do believe the musket was dropped as a gallant and heroic American
            soldier
            >charged across a river at the enemy , loosing his life in the attempt.

            And how do we know this?

            Curious, Craig
          • MAXINE TROTTIER
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
              That's so funny Len; I can't stand it! You military puppy, you...

              Max
              Maxine Trottier
              maxitrot@...
              http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm
            • Len Heidebrecht
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
                Military puppy...means disaplined dog ... means OH ! Maxine...Shocking!
                --

                On Tue, 1 Feb 2000 19:24:57 MAXINE TROTTIER wrote:
                >From: "MAXINE TROTTIER" <maxitrot@...>
                >
                >That's so funny Len; I can't stand it! You military puppy, you...
                >
                >Max

                HotBot - Search smarter.
                http://www.hotbot.com
              • Annette and Lloyd Gower
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
                  Primary sources of course
                  > Oh dear. Trying an 'Ogdensburg' in the warm weather. Bad, bad, bad,
                  soldier...its the rolled up paper for you!

                  > >>I do believe the musket was dropped as a gallant and heroic American
                  > >soldier
                  > >>charged across a river at the enemy , loosing his life in the attempt.
                  > >

                  > >And how do we know this?
                  > >
                  > >Curious, Craig
                  > >

                  > HotBot - Search smarter.
                  > http://www.hotbot.com

                  > GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
                  > Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.
                  Here</a>

                  square miles...

                • Roger Fuller
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2000
                    From: Annette and Lloyd Gower <agower@...>
                    To: WarOf1812@onelist.com <WarOf1812@onelist.com>
                    Date: 01 February 2000 21:48

                    >From: "Annette and Lloyd Gower" <agower@...>
                    >
                    >Primary sources of course

                    Which primary sources are referred to here? (Inquiring minds want to know!)

                    Roger Fuller