Nock's volley gun

  • tlubka@pathcom.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2000
      Roger Fuller wrote:
      >BTW I have seen no mention of Mr Nock's seven-barrelled volley gun ever used on land, nor on ships, in active service.<

      Roger, Roger, Roger!
      Have you forgotten Mr. Sharpe! Didn't his Sgt. carry a volley gun?
      Gosh Roger, everything in the Sharpe novels has to be correct right???;-)

      On a more realistic note I remember when a Mr. Larry Stutt at the Erie P.A.
      event (no longer an event)had the opportunity to fire a repro Nock Volley gun.
      He spread 3 rounds amoungst the 7 barrels (big rounds, 120 grains each). He fired the gun from the hip. He did manage to stay on his feet.
      I'd love a volley gun but cleaning it would be a real pain in the you know what!

      Terry.

      25th US/GLI
    • Roger Fuller
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2000
        From: tlubka@... <tlubka@...>
        To: WarOf1812@onelist.com <WarOf1812@onelist.com>
        Date: 01 February 2000 08:08
        Subject: [WarOf1812] Nock's volley gun

        >From: tlubka@...
        >
        > Roger, Roger, Roger!
        >Have you forgotten Mr. Sharpe! Didn't his Sgt. carry a volley gun?
        >Gosh Roger, everything in the Sharpe novels has to be correct right???;-)

        Shame on me- it is after all the primary source for our uniforming and
        practices (NOT).... :^)

        >On a more realistic note I remember when a Mr. Larry Stutt at the Erie P.A.
        >event (no longer an event)had the opportunity to fire a repro Nock Volley
        gun.
        >He spread 3 rounds amoungst the 7 barrels (big rounds, 120 grains each). He
        fired the gun from the hip. He did manage to stay on his feet.
        >I'd love a volley gun but cleaning it would be a real pain in the you know
        what!

        And this guy lived to tell the tale? Hell- if I put 120 grains and a patched
        ball in my Baker, it would knock me flat on my keyster. 360 grains? I dunno,
        Terry- that must have been VERY loose ball in there...just rolling out the
        barrel as it fired... unless of course, you mean "reenacting rounds", all
        powder, no (I hope) ball.

        At any rate 360 grains of black powder in a musket/rifle/volley gun is VERY
        dangerous to the shooter, as well as those near him.

        Does the owner (not Mr Stutt, I imagine) use it habitually at reenactments,
        if so, what is his historical provenance for doing so, other than to wow the
        Sharpe fans?

        Yes, cleaning one unrifled barrel of black powder residue is bad enough, but
        seven? What a mess.

        Roger
        3/95th (Rifles)