War of 1812 Bicentennial

  • larrylozon
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2009
      John et al

      John you have hit on many good points, thanks for your missive.

      The Annual War of 1812 Grand Tactical is said to quit in 2011. The War of 1812 Bicentennial will be soon upon us ... every town, village, city, etc. will want (and have) a War of 1812 commemoration thingie.

      It is good that all will remember the war and I agree with John Sek who said " as I don't want to downplay the importance of local activities in helping to educate the public on the War of 1812"

      The 1812 re-enactors will be however stretched very thin. The local events could be serviced by the local units and I feel that is where Fort Gwillimbury could fit in.

      I find myself agreeing with Mr. Kevin Windsor ( who would have known). The big 1812 events will no doubt be announced by both Crown and USA Commanders

      and picked by:

      1: an battle actually took place there in that year
      2: the site is large enough to accommodate the re-enactors attending
      3. the site is willing to sponsor an event there
      4: etc. . . .

      mor food for thought

      Yrs.,
      L2

      --- John Sek wrote:

      Although Kevin Windsor comments are not out of line, he touches on something else which makes for interesting conversation. I don't want to downplay the importance of local activities in helping to educate the public on the War of 1812. I am pleased that several have spoken up and outlined the historical impact on several locations about a war which is generally described as a forgotten war. Without going into the importance or significance as to how this war impacted on Canada and the USA, what is suppose to be happening in the next
      couple of years as the bi-centennial approaches is to find ways and means to bring dedication, memorialization and commemoration for the War of 1812. If far off communities such as Yellow Knife, Cockrane, Denvor or San Diego wants to do something about this, I am all for it. There are monuments, cenotaphs, public buildings, schools and libraries all of North America dedicated or named after
      events or people that directly relate to the Boar War, WWI, Korean War, Vietnam War, and others and soon even the war in Afghanistan, but not one single battle was ever fought on North American soil. There are communities and roadways named for events that occurred even before Columbus set sail.

      So why not plan an event at Fort Gwillimbury?!

      Why an individual re-enactor participates at any of the numerous events is something that only that individual can answer. And I find nothing wrong with whatever that answer may be. This also goes into why do we re-enact.

      If local event organizer wish to stage a full scale battle, a skirmish, a simple display or whatever to help commemorate local history or the upcomming bi-centennial, then we should be applauding them. They may need participants versed on the subject and perhaps our help to spread the word to interested parties. Perhaps we can even help those organizers in their planning to achieve a realistic goal and worth our consideration in attending.

      If a staged event is fiction, then hopefully this will be explained by the announcers or by the re-enactors answering the numerous questions that we are always asked of by the public. Are we historical accurate at any event held these days? No, of course not, not even close!!! But to the public, we can transcribe a bit of history and hopefully not loose sight as to why this war was fought and to what were the consequences afterwards.

      Just food for thought.

      John Sek