1812 Black Watch contact

  • a10rca
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2009
      I sure hope so Sarah.

      Michael, you really should consider the history of The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada. As well as the Royal Highland Emigrants and the original 42nd Foot, today's 3rd Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland. No offence to your bumper sticker but today, the Canadian branch of the family does their job in French and English (Gaelic during toasts). They still swear, or give solemn oath, to defend God, Queen and Country as they have for centuries.

      The wars are over but they are not forgotten. Clearly the Daughters of the American Revolution have not forgotten nor have the Loyalists of the original 19 British North American provinces.

      This group is set up to discuss issues related to the War of 1812. The American War of Independence and the tradition of Scottish service in both wars are of significance, just ask a Glen.

      If I pointed out the contradictory irony of a DAR branch meeting in Montreal with a Black Watch honour guard, the same would hold true for the Royalist Party of America meeting in Philadelphia on the 4th of July with a Committee of Public Safety honour guard. We have indeed come a long way.

      However, perhaps your bumper sticker should say 'remerciez un soldat', si tu te souviens les milliers de troupes francaises dans la guerre d'independance et aussi le million d'homme Grand Armee d'empereur Napoleon en dix-huit douze.

      I think Anatole Broyard would have understood.

      Jim Hill